We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone book 2012 Flights Yet?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone book 2012 Flights Yet?

I am trying to decide whether or not to wait until August to book our flights from Boston to St. Thomas. We take the ferry once in St. Thomas over to Virgin Gorda.

What have you all been seeing for pricing? I am seeing about $100 more for travel in 2012 than we paid in 2011.

Last year I pounced at $330 for my flight, this year I am seeing about $434 and upwards. Any thoughts?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone book 2012 Flights Yet?

I should have mentioned, we go at the end of January to beginning of February and prefer direct nonstop flights only.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone book 2012 Flights Yet?

I was forced to pay $623 out of Atlanta for summer travel this year (rolled the dice and lost) so I am very jealous of the pricing you are seeing.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone book 2012 Flights Yet?

Ouch that hurts. You'd think Atlanta would be better, bigger airport than Boston's Logan and closer.

Any one else have any pricing yet for 2012?

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone book 2012 Flights Yet?

Continental has $367 out of Newark to STT in Feb and March... last year was around $298. If fuel drops, it may come down a bit. Your $434 seems in line with what I have been seeing. 25-33% +/- increases over last year.

Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone book 2012 Flights Yet?

We have booked for 2011-2012. Coming from Cleveland, OH and have gone every year in January. Last year around second week in January 2011 was $578 RT St. Thomas (Continental), this year we wanted to celebrate the new year down there and tried to leave Dec 27 and was around $1000 each, we pushed it back leaving Dec 29, 2011 and got RT for around $720. With this economy, rather than bringing prices down to fill flights, they are eliminating flights to create the demand adding to the cost, along with fuel prices! Play around with the days you can leave, but I don’t foresee any drastic savings coming! Good Luck!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone book 2012 Flights Yet?

My Boston flights are looking good. Continental seems very pricey. Thanks for the info!

Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone book 2012 Flights Yet?

Yep, I would take $434 from Boston the way prices are looking. Especially if direct! We never have direct from Cleveland. Always at least one stop, and then sometimes add San Juan as another stop where they put us on a small plane (Cape Air) to St. Thomas. Continental is pricey but we are staying on Jost and the other airlines get us in later having to either stay on St. Thomas a night or paying extra for a water taxi service intead of the ferries. Keeping fingers crossed Continental doesn't change flights on us as we get in at 2:30pm giving us time to make ferry!

Newton...
Level Contributor
28 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone book 2012 Flights Yet?

We went to Virgin Gorda in May and ended up flying out of Bradley (Hartford). It was a delightful experience; far less stressful than Logan, pleasant security personnel, etc. Plus, AA still has a nonstop to SJU from BDL. We stayed at the Sheraton at Bradley the night before and paid something like $140 total (with silly taxes, etc) and that included parking for the week!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone book 2012 Flights Yet?

I booked my flights on Tuesday afternoon. FYI, Tuesday afternoon is suppose to be the best time to book because the airlines post their sales early on Tuesday. The other airlines, trying to be competitive, do price drops which show up late Tuesday afternoon. This is what I have read and it worked for me, as I saved about $54 over what I saw last week.

I booked Jetblue nonstop going down and AA nonstop for the return. These flights are out of Boston and go in and out of St. Thomas.

I paid $394 per person round trip all taxes included. I think I did pretty good.

Columbus...
Level Contributor
238 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone book 2012 Flights Yet?

You did great! We just paided 565.00 round trip out of Birmingham Al.

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations