We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on public ferry from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda

Charlotte
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions on public ferry from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda

We're going to Little Dix Bay Resort in Oct. and i'm trying to figure out the transportation situation from St. Thomas Airport to Little Dix Bay Resort. I really don't want to spend another $1000 round-trip in transpo. fees to and from hotel. My husband and I are considering taking the public ferry out of Charlotte Amalie which is 10mins. from St. Thomas airport to Virgin Gorda. The resort said the public ferry time is approx. 75mins.

1-Has anyone taken public ferry? If so, how was it?

2-What ferry company did you use?

3-How do you find out the ferry schedule, cost and pickup/drop off points, etc?

Open to all suggestions. Thanks!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on public ferry from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda

Here is the ferry schedule and pricing. Please note that there is only a direct ferry Tues, Thur, and Sat. If you do not go those days you will have to use some combination of ferrys involving stops on Tortola. You can look at those options on this same website. Speedys is the only company that runs the direct route. Any ferrys from STT to the BVI are from the BVI ferry dock in Charlotte Amalie. Walk out of the airport on STT and a cab coordinator will ask you where you are going. Tell him and he will set you upwith the correct cab. It is quite easy. The ferry dock on Virgin Gorda, which is very close to Little Dix, is also easy to find and access.

bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_stt_vg_speedys.h…

I just used the public ferry less than a month ago with a party of seven. Worked fine.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on public ferry from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda

We used it earlier this year and it was also very good. I have never had a problem with the ferries. I like them and would never consider paying a lot extra for a private transfer. If you have time before the ferry leaves, you can either go upstairs to the restaurant at the ferry dock and have lunch or a drink or go for a walk in Charlotte Amalie. They will take your bags when you check in to the ferry so you do not need to worry about that.

Enjoy your stay at Little Dix, it is a beautiful resort.

Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
314 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on public ferry from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda

Since you are going in Oct, please call the ferry companies as some of them reduce some service in Oct for lack of passengers.

Bring along some very light nylon windbreakers/rain gear as you will see lots of short but heavy showers that time of year.

Edited: 16 August 2011, 13:19
Charlotte
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on public ferry from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda

Thanks so much you guys for all the help especially the links to all the public ferry schedules. I just booked our trip today and we're going in Sept now instead of Oct. I can't wait!!!!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on public ferry from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda

No problem. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

6. Re: Suggestions on public ferry from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 02:18