We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fischer's vs. Mango Bay vs. Leverick Bay (vs. Guavaberry?)

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Fischer's vs. Mango Bay vs. Leverick Bay (vs. Guavaberry?)

My husband and I honeymooned at LDB and fell in absolute love with VG... so we're going back! However, LDB is a little pricy this time of year, so we're looking for an alternative...

Here's what we want:

- To be on or a very short walk from the beach

- Ease of getting to restaurants/things to do (a restaurant on site would be nice)

- NOT to rent a car, take taxis everywhere (we rented a car in STT and hated it, we don’t mind the extra cost of taxis)

- NOT to have to cook a lot (i.e. we don't mind doing cereal & toast in the mornings, but would like to eat out for dinner for sure)

Sooo…I’m looking for some feedback on my impressions of these 4 places based on what I have read on tripadvisor… Any of this wrong? Is there anywhere else that sounds like it would be a better fit (I think I’ve looked at everything on the island)? I go back & forth on considering Tortola, but we stayed at Sugar Mill a few years back (for only 1 night) and we weren’t that impressed, we like the smallness of VG.

*Fischer’s Cove*

Biggest concern: Looks very old, very mixed reviews [We don’t mind old, as long as it’s clean… we love Sandcastle on JVD, for example]

Biggest Draw: Has everything else

*Mango Bay*

Biggest concern: No restaurant on site, would have to take 10 min taxi ride into town to eat (or have provisions in room)

Biggest Draw: Looks nice, and beautiful beach!

*Leverick Bay*

Biggest concerns: Looks really touristy, and the beach looks small/crowded, ease of getting taxis?, Restaurant situation (Onsite restaurant looks good, Giorgio’s table is close, and free water taxi to Saba Rock, free water taxi at Gunn Creek (5 min taxi ride?) to Bitter End/Biras [Correct me if any of this is wrong!])

Biggest Draw: We’ve visited, but never stayed, in the North Sound… Might be fun to explore a new area!

*Guavaberry* (not sure if they only rent weekly?, we’ll only be there 6 days)

Biggest concern: Not close enough to beach? (seems like it depends on unit) [I’ve emailed them]

Biggest Draw: Looks nice, beautiful beach

Feedback? Additional Info? Please let me know, I need to book this soon!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fischer's vs. Mango Bay vs. Leverick Bay (vs. Guavaberry?)

Trade offs in paradise!

Fischer's Cove has a very loyal following of people who often rent the same unit the same wk every yr and the rooms that I saw 2 yrs ago are in very good shape. It is the most centrally located to everything you are looking for, and, in fact, you can walk to Spanish Town in one direction and the Baths and beaches on the southern end of the island in the other direction. The Flax family are wonderful hosts. We have eaten a couple of meals at the restaurant, but have not stayed here, and they were gracious hosts when I toured the property. Photo album:

…smugmug.com/Vacation/…

Mango Bay's units have been remodeled over the yrs since we first stayed there and looked great when I toured them 2 yrs ago. They are on my favorite snorkeling reef from shore, Mahoe Bay, of any of the doz. islands we've been to in the Carib. Gino is an excellent manager and will do everything he can to assure that your stay goes well. Nothing is within walking distance except fabulous beaches, and there may be times when you feel as though you have some, if not all, of the entire beach to yourself.

…smugmug.com/Vacation/Virgin-Gorda-Mango-Bay/

Leverick Bay, is another place where the units have been re-done, and they looked great when I toured them. Nick and Monica are probably the most well known couple on the island, and for good reason - they are outstanding managers who will provide you with every form of assistance that they possibly can. Leverick Bay is one of the most interesting places we have ever stayed. You could easily spend your 6 days visiting the other resorts, restaurants, and beaches in the North Sound area. The 2 beaches at Leverick are small but pleasant. They were a good, safe place for us to experience snorkeling in the Caribbean for the first time.The views of North Sound are mesmerizing, and the breezes are the best of any place on VG. The shops in the Marina are excellent and the massage therapists at the Spa are among the best we have ever used. Even on vacations when we did not stay at Leverick, we've hired them to come to our villas for massages. There is a wide variety of restaurants in North Sound and they are all very good to excellent - many consider the restaurant at Leverick Bay to be among the best on the island. The Fri BBQ, featuring Mocko Jumbies, is not to be missed. You could wine and dine a fabulous dinner at the nearby luxury resort, Biras Creek, or eat a low key, but delicious meal at Fat Virgin, or Sand Box on Prickly Pear Island. The small grocery store at Leverick has a deli that makes some of the best sandwiches we've eaten on VG, but it sometimes runs out of essentials, such as milk. You will probably want to rent a car for at least one day in order to visit the Baths and beaches on the other end of the island. Photos:

…smugmug.com/Vacation/…

Guavaberry Spring Bay is within walking distance of 4 or 5 fabulous beaches, including the world famous Baths. The management are among the most helpful we have ever used and will provide you with a lot of helpful information before you travel. You are also within walking distance of several very good to excellent restaurants, and will have exclusive access to a very well stocked commissary that is available 24 x 7 to GSB guests. Adjacent to the commissary is a pleasant air conditioned lounge with a TV that is also open 24 x7 for guests. Some folks walk from GSB to the shops and restaurants in Spanish Town, but others prefer the short cab ride. Photos:

…smugmug.com/Vacation/…

If I had my druthers, I'd try to squeeze in 1 or 2 more days and consider staying at 2 of the above places. And do you know what? It really wouldn't make any difference which 2 that ends up being, because each place has its own special vibe...

Safe travels, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fischer's vs. Mango Bay vs. Leverick Bay (vs. Guavaberry?)

Thank you SO much for your opinions & pictures - I know you go to the VI a lot, and you helped me with my question earlier this week (and with some of my questions in planning my honeymoon a couple years ago too!). I wish so much that we could add a few more days (weeks...), but 6 days was all we could do this trip (we already have our plane tics).

After discussing it with my husband, I'm thinking we might do 3 nights at Fischer's Cove and 2 nights at Leverick Bay (and I will definitely get a massage, and do dinner at Biras Creek... always wanted to visit there!). I have an email to Fischer's to see what kind of availability they have and I'll go from there... Thank you!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fischer's vs. Mango Bay vs. Leverick Bay (vs. Guavaberry?)

You are very welcome, and I'm delighted to hear that I assisted the 2 of you with your honeymoon plans several yrs ago. We honeymooned on VG more than 30 yrs ago, and it feels like we are on our honeymoon again every time we return. We've also been to most of the BVI and it is a joy to assist others in some small way with their vacation plans to a very special place on our mother earth.

I like the idea very much of staying at 2 places and you've made a great choice if your plans work out. Even if they don't, plans B & C aren't bad, either, lol!

I was very impressed with the management at Biras Creek when I toured their resort. They spent several hours with me and were very gracious in opening up their entire resort to me. I know you aren't spending the night there, but here are photos, including several of the restaurant toward the back of the album:

…smugmug.com/Vacation/…

All the best, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2friends

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fischer's vs. Mango Bay vs. Leverick Bay (vs. Guavaberry?)

I would like to do some of the hiking over by Biras Creek when I go in April. Where do I start from? Is there a problem being on the property? Thought we could hike before or after having lunch at Fat Virgin.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fischer's vs. Mango Bay vs. Leverick Bay (vs. Guavaberry?)

SOUP-ER, I've never hiked Biras Creek, so can't comment directly, and I've read mixed reports on non-guests hiking at BC. However, all of the reports I've read since the new management took over a couple of yrs ago sound as though hikers are welcome. I believe the stipulation has always been to avoid hiking near the accommodations and other public areas. I've heard that the views are spectacular from the trail(s) on the hill(s). Take plenty of water.

I'd also encourage you to contact Biras directly and discuss your desire to hike their trails. http://www.biras.com/

The trail that leads to Gorda Peak has stunning views of the entire island, as well as neighboring islands in a 360 degree panorama, and I strongly recommend that hike, too.

Take care, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fischer's vs. Mango Bay vs. Leverick Bay (vs. Guavaberry?)

We did the Gorda Peak hike last time...wanted to try this one since the views look amazing.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fischer's vs. Mango Bay vs. Leverick Bay (vs. Guavaberry?)

Good for you, and I agree about the photos I've seen of the views from the BC hike. Please let us know how your hike goes, and post a few pics, too.

Thanks, alashas

Caribbean
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fischer's vs. Mango Bay vs. Leverick Bay (vs. Guavaberry?)

A different option - Drakes View Villa - steps away from Mountain Trunk Beach .. have a restaurant ..

flipkey.com/virgin-gorda-villa-rentals/…

Boston
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fischer's vs. Mango Bay vs. Leverick Bay (vs. Guavaberry?)

SOUP-ER: There is a trail from the BEYC, by the pool that will take you to Biras, I am not sure about the SIDE OF Biras.

Htowngirl: I have stayed at Fischer's Cove before and although the location is unbeatable, the beach is nice, you can walk to restaurants and town and the owners are fantastic, it is a far cry from the other places on your list. It is clean, but not the most comfortable place I have stayed. If you want a/c you will have to stay in one of the hotel rooms which is where we stayed. Frankly, I cannot imagine going from LDB to Fischer's Cove. I am not trying to dissuade you and we would probably stay there again, but remember you get what you pay for.

Edited: 10 January 2012, 15:03
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fischer's vs. Mango Bay vs. Leverick Bay (vs. Guavaberry?)

I do want to say that renting a car on VG is much less stressful driving than ST for sure!!! We were in ST in June and the traffic and some of the drivers made driving very challenging at times- and sometimes the distance we wanted to travel took much longer than getting around in VG, imo. The only time that driving on VG scared me was going over the mountain towards Leverick. If you were to stay at Mango Bay it is about a 5-10 minute easy drive to restaurants, grocery, etc. in town and it seems like it was not much more than that to the restaurant at Nail Bay- sure you don't want to give yourself that flexibility/independence of your own jeep? It really is not a problem if you were staying at MB or Guavaberry, etc. You could always get a cab over to LB if you did not want to drive it. Just my 2 cents worth.

PS I mainly lurk at times since the next trip I am planning is not to the BVI's- hopefully in 2013 though but I wanted to say I missed you Alashas!!