We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island BIrds website says "VG Airport now open to 9 seaters"

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Island BIrds website says "VG Airport now open to 9 seaters"

but I can't find any other confirmation about this. I would expect Air Sunshine to mention it on their website, since they fly 9 passenger planes, but don't see anything listed yet on their website. We would appreciate hearing from others who can confirm this.

http://www.islandbirds.com/

Thanks, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Boston
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island BIrds website says "VG Airport now open to 9 seaters"

Alashas

Let's hope this apply's to all. It's been too long since we could fly into Virgin Gorda!

Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
311 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island BIrds website says "VG Airport now open to 9 seaters"

Island Birds is a charter operation ,so the airport has been open to them. However Air Sunshine was operating scheduled flights into VG. For some reason this changes use of the airport.

I am not aware of any changes. Hope I am wrong!

Edited: 30 January 2012, 01:54
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island BIrds website says "VG Airport now open to 9 seaters"

Thanks, tp, even when the VG airport was closed, I thought they were always still open to charter flights, but not the larger 9 seat planes which some charter companies, as well as Air Sunshine, flies. Was/is there some other issue regarding AS?

Thanks, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2friends

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island BIrds website says "VG Airport now open to 9 seaters"

Thanks you the information everyone. I agree, I look forward to flying commercial in to VG direct again!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island BIrds website says "VG Airport now open to 9 seaters"

HI ACB, I still don't see anything listed in Air Sunshine's website, so I am not certain if they are able to fly to VG, which is/was the only regularly scheduled flight other than the charter companies. I googled last night and couldn't find any confirmation, either. Perhaps someone can update us...

all the best, alashas

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island BIrds website says "VG Airport now open to 9 seaters"

I am in the midst of renting a house on VG through a management agency on Tortola and have asked them to look in to it.. I will report back.

B.

Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
311 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island BIrds website says "VG Airport now open to 9 seaters"

Hello:

I believe the problem is more a political issue rather than aviation.

The rules change when you have a scheduled flight like AS did.

Thus AS can not fly, as the aircraft cannot be shown to be able to take off with 1 engine with a full load. That is the understanding that I have.

The VG airport needs to be made longer to allow AS to fly.

8. Re: Island BIrds website says "VG Airport now open to 9 seaters"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 10:31