We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries for a "foodie"

Door County WI
Level Contributor
275 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Groceries for a "foodie"

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about general grocery shopping, specialty food stores and where to buy fresh fish and sea food. Are there any delis to pick up sandwiches for a picnic? What about buying wine and beer?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries for a "foodie"

hereIam,

I've posted a photo album of most of the grocery stores and their locations here

…smugmug.com/Vacation/…

We usually visit Road Town Wholesale first, where bulk items are available, cash only. Just a short distance past that is the Buck's Wholesale, which is newest and one of the best grocery stores on the island. It's like a well stocked small US grocery store. You need to get most, but not all items 3 or more, and they take cc. They have one of the better varieties of wines on the island.

We tend to hit a good # of these stores during a wk or more stay on VG, depending on where we are on the island at the time. We haven't had a bad deli item in any grocery store. Bucks in the VGYH has a good deli, and I've occasionally purchased sandwiches there for $4 or so between morning and afternoon scuba dives with Dive BVI.

Have a great trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries for a "foodie"

PS, I just realized haven't captioned this album yet of VGYH stores, but the Wine Cellar in the VGYH has a good selection of wines, delicious sandwiches, and pastries. I think you'll need to cut and paste this link

http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/Vacation/Virgin-Gorda-Yacht-Harbour/8098313_wdq6XM#!i=531751035&k=K7VQQ

There's also a very good ice cream parlor just a short distance past the Wine Cellar.

be well, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2friends

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries for a "foodie"

I'm trying hard not to laugh. Sorry. This isn't Hamptons. It's BVI.

I can't help but being rough. You need to adjust your expectations and do a bit more research.

There are decent grocery stores where you can pick up anything you need. Think basic stuff: packaged ham, packaged cheese, sliced bread, frozen pizza, eggs, veggies - nothing fancy but still good choices. No salads to go, no fru fru organic sandwiches no low-fat-soy-milk lattes neither. Specialty food stores - no, none either. It gets a little better in Tortola.

No fresh seafood or fish is being sold on the island unless you are lucky and get hold of a fishing boat coming with a catch (rare sight) or you know people who know fishermen. There might be some pot fish or swordfish steaks on ice sometimes in Bucks. Frozen fish and stuff - you'll get plenty.

Grocery stores in the Valley - Bucks, Rosy's, Supa Valu. Wholesale - RTW and Big Bucks. You can get beer and wine in any of them.

You can get premade ham & cheese sandwiches at Bucks (they are very chewy). There is a small store which will make sandwiches to order located between Dixie's and Chez Bamboo. You can also get sandwiches made in grocery store in Leverick Bay (these are the best ones).

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries for a "foodie"

Wine Cellar is closed.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries for a "foodie"

Thanks, I didn't know about the Wine Cellar, what took its place in the VGYH? And we agree about the sandwiches at the Leverick Bay grocery store, they're huge! The only other place where we've had sandwiches that good have been at the deli on the 2nd floor of Harbour Market in Soper's Hole - those are always our first meal in JVD.

I may need to get you to help me label the VGYH photo album and will send you a pm when I get around to doing that.

Peace, alashas

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries for a "foodie"

I do not consider a VG a foodie destination and I have yet to have a great meal on the island in any restaurant. The quality of local produce and fruits in particular is very poor. VG has to import most food items and those subject to small variations in temperature and humidity - whether it be produce, fresh meats, or wine - tend to suffer.

Do a little research on Caribbean cuisine before you come down and try to utilize the locals sauces, seasonings, chutneys, and limited produce when you can. Fresh tamarinds are easy to find and make great dressings and sauces. Fresh bananas can be used in mixed drinks and crepes. Plantains are widely available in good condition and are delicious sliced sauteed in rum and butter. Chicken or pork can be found frozen and marinated in "Green Seasoning", a bottled sauce that is found in most every Caribbean cooks kitchen that is surprisingly flavorful and robust. The main ingredient, Shadow Benny (a potent cliantro- like taste), is also widely used in curries, chutneys, and pilafs.

Like alashas, I often go to many grocery stores on the island but I have become most partial to Rosy's. It seems to be the most clean and organized.

http://rosysenterprisesvg.com/

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries for a "foodie"

ACB has made a very good point about the quality of the food, which is another reason why we often end up visiting most of the groceries stores over the course of a wk or two. Sometimes the produce, in particular, can be in pretty bad shape at one grocery store, but in better shape at another one.

Groceries is one of the reasons why we always bring a collapsible cooler with us, and why we sometimes purchase a styrofoam one while we are in the islands. Produce, meat, and dairy products can start to go bad quickly from the time we purchase groceries to the time we get them to our villa. It's also why we always buy shelf life milk rather than "fresh."

We're not gourmet cooks, but we have eaten some very good meals over the years in the BVI, and haven't ever really had a bad meal, either - perhaps the libation helps...

bon appetit, alashas

Boston
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries for a "foodie"

Nothing has replaced the "Wine Cellar" yet. I too noticed it was closed last week during our visit and the space is still empty.

For sandwiches, we made our own. We bought the best fresh bread at M&M Bakery and made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I hate to admit it, but they were the best PB&J I have ever had. It all had to do with the bread that we picked up fresh from the bakery.

Enjoy!

Door County WI
Level Contributor
275 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Groceries for a "foodie"

Alashas the photo album was over the top. It looks like there is a nice selection of fruits and vegetables (contrary to what I just read) or were those photos taken on the best produce days of each place? I am a little surprised about the lack of fresh fish or seafood. Most islands I have been at sell fish where the boats come in. Any other suggestions on who to talk to about fish? We are staying in Leverick Bay and arrive on the Thursday’s 6:45 ferry. I saw that Bucks stays open until 7:50, is there any other place that stays open later? The minimum quantity of 3 probably would not work for us at Bucks wholesale. BostonTia1, bread is the most important part of all sandwiches, thanks for the tip on the bakery.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Groceries for a "foodie"

Here I am:

The bakery I referenced is called M&M Bakery. It is very difficult to find if you aren't familiar with the area. It is on a one way street heading towards the Baths. It is well worth finding it.

If you are coming from the Yacht Harbor heading towards the Baths, the one way street is on the left right across from the Napa Auto Parts Store. If you have passed Fischer's Cove hotel/restaurant, you have gone too far. The hours of the bakery are 6 PM to about noon the following day. I guess they bake all night. The one way street looks like some one's drive way, so look closely, or just follow your nose.

If you guys want to try some good BBQ on the island, go to Hog Heaven. It is all the talk on the island. It is a new place not too far from Leverick.

Good Luck and have lots of fun.

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations