We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car insurance

Ferrum,USA
13 posts
Save Topic
Rental car insurance

My wife and I are planning our first visit to Virgin Gorda in June.

We wanted to rent a car for the week to be able to check out the whole island since we are staying at Guavaberry. What is your advice concerning rental insurance-our car insurance will not cover in the BVI. We can get some from our credit card, but full insurance with no deductible through rental company is quite pricey for a week. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

Ferrum,USA
13 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Rental car insurance

BostonTia1-Did the extra insurance you purchased from Mahogany include liability?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rental car insurance

I assume that it did, as I told them I wanted full coverage.

Last year I wrote it myself on their paperwork that no deductibles apply. I am overly cautious.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,262 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rental car insurance

"Last year I wrote it myself on their paperwork that no deductibles apply. I am overly cautious"

I don't understand what that means?

B.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rental car insurance

Sorry. I meant that when I signed the paperwork that was presented to me at the time I took possession of the rental, I wrote on the paper that no deductible applies to comp. and collision, full coverage applies. I wanted to see it for myself somewhere on the paperwork that I did indeed have the coverage, so I wrote it in myself. My signature and their's were both on the paper, and I received a carbon copy of it.

Ferrum,USA
13 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Rental car insurance

Mahogany e-mailed me back that insurance includes liability-you can pay extra to keep from having a deductible.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Rental car insurance

I should have asked Mahogany what their limits are for the liability, but I wasn't too concerned because I do have an umbrella policy that would drop down and cover me if the need arose.

These are good questions to discuss. I hope we never need to use the insurance.

Richland, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Rental car insurance

I found the discussion from last year about car rental in the BVI very interesting. When I inquired with TOLA about liability insurance they told me, "I cannot disclose the amount of money limited per person. Please note that it covers personal liability if there is an accident and someone is injured." Others just ignored my request for information about the availability of personal liability insurance. My insurance company says they don't cover car rentals outside the US & Canada, even under my umbrella policy. My credit card says they don't cover personal liability. I really don't want to go "bare". Do you have any recommendations?

Edited: 29 May 2013, 17:02
Boston
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Rental car insurance

I think you agent doesn't know insurance very well. Your umbrella policy should drop down and cover the bodily injury and property damage to a rental.

This is taken from IRMI, a well respected risk mgmt publication.

Auto Liability Coverage Outside the United States and Canada: Umbrella provides coverage for bodily injury and property damage primary liability when renting cars abroad. The territory of the personal auto policy is the United States and Canada only. The territory of most personal umbrellas is worldwide. Thus, step-down coverage is provided without underlying insurance requirements.

19. Re: Rental car insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 06:16