We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biras creek or little Dix? 1st timer to vg

chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Biras creek or little Dix? 1st timer to vg

Have been going to st. John for 10 years. This year we are doing 10 days and will be splitting 5 days on st. John and ending on virgin gorda. Have never been there. Recommendations? Both resorts look great. I just don't know about location, and also is there a town with restaurants, or do you have to stay at the hotel for meals? We like to go out, which is something we like about st. John

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biras creek or little Dix? 1st timer to vg

Having spent many years going to St John before migrating to VG, I think you will find the situation similar, though VG is smaller and quieter. I would suggest staying at Little Dix rather than Biras Creek. You have much easier access to most of the didning options on the island which tend to be gathered around the Valley area. Here are a few restaurants worth visiting that are an easy drive or cab ride from Little Dix:

The Mind Shaft for great sunset views and solid Caribbean fare: http://www.mineshaftbvi.com/

The Rock Cafe for a unique dining experience and tasty lobster pasta:

http://www.bvidining.com/Rock_Cafe/index.php

Top of the Baths for a wonderful view and a very nice pool for the guests:

http://www.topofthebaths.com/

Chez Bamboo for Creole cuisine:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147358-d1…

The food at Little Dix is quite good and you should visit the restaurant at Leverick Bay (perhaps the best on the island http://therestaurantatleverickbay.com/).

I also like several of the local places like LSL and Island Pot.

The Little Dix location offers easier access to the better beaches located on the southwest coast/boulder area, Savannah/Pond, and Mahoe.

chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Biras creek or little Dix? 1st timer to vg

Thank you for all the great tips!!

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biras creek or little Dix? 1st timer to vg

I also think LDB is the better choice, especially if you like to go out to different restaurants. I would suggest a car. Bath and Turtle is also near LDB. You could walk to that and Chez Bamboo. Go one day to the North Sound and take the free ferry to either Saba Rock or Fat Virgin for lunch. It is beautiful up there.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biras creek or little Dix? 1st timer to vg

I agree with ACB and Soup-ER. Little Dix is a great recomendation for you. You will also be close to the main ferry too. Logistically, Little Dix is the better choice. it is easier to get to. If you went to Bitter End, most likely you would have to take another ferry ride to get over to Bitter End.

You can always go visit Bitter End during your stay as there is a free ferry. Even though Bitter End is part of Virgin Gorda, it is pretty isolated, and only reachable by boat.

I took a day trip over to Bitter End in January of this year and I thought it was a pretty cool place, but I prefer our location in the valley where we stayed. I went for a swim in the ocean at Bitter End, and there was a bunch of ickey tall grass on the ocean floor with big mounds of sand with holes in them. I didn't want to put my feet down on the bottom.

The beach at Little Dix is gorgeous, and I am sure the swimming will be fabulous at Little Dix.

There isn't a lot to do in town, but at least you will be closer to it at Little Dix. You could walk down to the Yacht Harbor and check out the area, as you would not be that far away. Taxi's are around too if you need them.

Sounds like a faboulous vacation. Have a wonderful time and please give us a report when you come back.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,577 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biras creek or little Dix? 1st timer to vg

I agree with all of the above and you can also visit Biras Creek by taking the ferry to Bitter End and there is a Path that goes to Biras by the pool. It is a nice walk but can be hot and buggy. We like to spend a day at the North Sound area but perfer to stay in the Valley.

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biras creek or little Dix? 1st timer to vg

Biras Creek has its own comp ferry leaving from Gun Creek. No need to take Bitter End (neigboring resort) ferry unless you want to visit both.

www.biras.com/section_content.aspx…

It's a 5 mins ferry ride. You can have dinner at their main restaurant or lunch/dinner in their onsite restaurant Fat Virgin. Beautiful grounds to walk around, makes for a nice day trip.

It takes about 20-25 mins drive from the Valley/Spanish Town to get to Gun Creek.

Greenough, Montana
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Biras creek or little Dix? 1st timer to vg

Both resorts are wonderful! Do not be put off, however by the fact that Biras Creek is a little off the beaten path as there are wonderful restaurants in the North Sound and we can provide complimentary ferry transportation to them all - Bitter End, Saba Rock, Leverick Bay, YCCS. And there is also a free ferry (7 minute ride) to Gun Creek from where you can get a taxi for the 15 minute ride to The Valley where all of the restaurants in Spanish Town can be accessed, include those of Little Dix Bay. I am the GM of Biras Creek so I am a little biased of course, but whichever resort you ultimately choose, you will LOVE Virgin Gorda. We hope to see you soon!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biras creek or little Dix? 1st timer to vg

Welcome to the board, Stephen B! We hope we get more posts from you whether they be biased or unbiased - though I have always wondered if there is a such a thing as "unbiased".

9. Re: Biras creek or little Dix? 1st timer to vg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations