We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day on virgin gorda

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A day on virgin gorda

Greetings!

We were thinking of visiting VG via ferry from STJ. We have been to the baths before and would like to see them again but we also would like to see spring bay and maybe savannah bay. Should I rent a car for a few hours, or will a taxi work? Do the taxis go to savannah bay? Open to any suggestions as to how to spend a few hours on VG. Thank you!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day on virgin gorda

My preference is to rent a car, but taxis will work as well. Here is a link of taxi companies:

http://www.bvitourism.com/taxi-services

and here is a list of taxi fares:

bvivacation.com/transportation/virgin-gorda-…

Here is my favorite car rental company:

http://mahogany.nfshost.com/

I am a big fan of the Spring Bay area and Savannah Bay. You could not go wrong with either one. You might want to consider a trip to the North Sound area. Or take a hike up Gorda Peak. With only four and a half hours or so to play around with (arrive by 10:00, out at 3:00), this would probably work:

10-1130: explore Spring Bay area all the way down to Valley Trunk. Snorkel south towards the Baths.

1130-01:00: drive over to the North Sound area over Gorda peak and grab lunch at Leverick or perhaps at Hog Heaven, which is on the loop road back around to the Nail Bay area. Suppose to have great views over the North Sound. You could probably even squeeze in a ferry out to Saba Rock for lunch, though you might need to steal 30 minutes out of the Spring Bay visit.

01:00-01:30 Drive the back Gorda Peak road over to Nail Bay and south on that road to Savannah Bay.

01:30-02:30: Enjoy a swim and snorkel at Savannah.

02:45: turn in car and board 03:00 ferry back to St John

That should give you a good tour of the island and keep you on schedule. You will like Mahogany. Not like any company on St John. When you are ready to leave you just park the car at the ferry dock and leave the keys in the car. It is that easy. Rental papers are filled out on the hood of your car when you arrive.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A day on virgin gorda

Wow! Thank you so much for the sample itinerary! That's just what I was looking for. Mahogany gets high marks, we will definitely rent a car with them. Now I am wondering how far in advance we need to reserve. Do they book up fast? Again, thank you for all this information!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day on virgin gorda

When do you anticipate being on Virgin Gorda?

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A day on virgin gorda

June 7th

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day on virgin gorda

I would go ahead and contact them now.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day on virgin gorda

ACB,

I think you and I are in the wrong business. We should start a travel agency, I wish.

Your posts are just fabulous!

Boston Tia

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A day on virgin gorda

I wish as well...unfortunately, we would not make any money. It would be a hobby...like tripadvisor....:).

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A day on virgin gorda

Ditto, ACB, this is an interesting hobby, but a travel agency really ratchets things up a couple of notches, lol!

Be well, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Boston
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A day on virgin gorda

Alashas,

Glad to see you back on the board. You were missed!

Boston Tia

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A day on virgin gorda

Thanks, BostonTia1, we've had a rough year and half, beginning with the loss of one of my closest childhood friends of 50+ yrs, my wife's very serious leg injury (probably caused from a prescription med that is supposed to prevent it), loss of a 16 yr old niece in an auto accident, 2 more close friends, then my brother 2 yrs older than me in April, followed by my sister's cancer surgery. We're grateful for each new day.....and very glad to be back! I'm aching to get back to the Caribbean again, and TA is a pleasant diversion until then....

All the best, alashas

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations