We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Gorda in October

Oklahoma City...
1 post
Save Topic
Virgin Gorda in October

I am looking to go to the Virgin Gorda from Oct. 8 until Oct. 26. Am I dumb to do this due to Hurrican season? I want to go to the Carribean for my honeymoon but I don't want to go where it is raining!!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Gorda in October

October is one of the rainiest months, averaging over 5.2 inches per month. In comparison, Oklahoma City averages about 3.1 inches of rain in the month of October. There is a higher instance of storms and certainly there is a threat of hurricanes, though the chance that the VI will be in the path of a major hurricane is fairly remote.

Have I been there in October? Yes I have, and I enjoyed myself. Very few tourists on the island, rained almost every night (not all night, usually just a passing shower). Everything was green and lovely. The chance that your honeymoon would be completely rained out is slim. It would certainly make sense to buy travel insurance.

If you want to feel fairly confident you will not have hurricane issues in the Caribbean, head south....way south. Boniare, for instance, averages 2.79 inches of rainfall in October. The other ABCs are equally blessed.

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Gorda in October

The weather seasons across the Caribbean are pretty much the same. No matter which island you go to - it's a hurricane season. Whether you choose BVI, Cayman or St Lucia - you're riding the same boat.

The exception is the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) where the rainfall is minimal throughout the year.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Gorda in October

I was there in October last year. The weather was great! It never rained more than 10 minutes at any given time, mostly at night as ACB stated. The seas were calm and we were very fortunate. October tends to be toward the tail end of the hurricane season, so I would be less worried, but in the end you never know. BTW, we love traveling in October in the Caribbean because it is so slow and laid back.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Gorda in October

I think as long as you realize and are OK with the fact that during this time of year you can have hurricanes, tropical storms and tropical depressions. As it seems like you are going for almost 3 weeks you will have some great weather no doubt. If you are looking to minimize risk as this is your honeymoon and hopefully a once in a life time trip, IMO I would probably go somewhere other than the Caribbean.

Like ACB said definitely by trip insurance

B.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Gorda in October

I was there last October and just returned a couple of weeks ago (both times at Baraka Point in Nail Bay). So, the end of hurricane season and the beginning of hurricane season. I found it to be hotter in June with more wind (which made it comfortable). October was much nicer because it was cooler (but still hot) with less wind. It rained more than a few times during our 12 day trip but it was never more than a few minutes. Like Hawaii, it was welcome because it had gotten so humid. We were very hesitant to go, just like you, but we checked the forecast for the hurricane season and the weather station had forecasted a light season so we made the reservations.

One thing to remember, from my two experiences, it never rains on the entire island. It may say it rained but not where you are. Several times it rained in Nail Bay, but the staff who lives by Spanish Town said it had not rained there.

Another thing, I was told Nail Bay is not on the side where hurricanes pass (only once did the staff have to go the the villa to be safe during a major hurricane). you may want to check what side of the island you are planning on staying.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Gorda in October

One would think as hurricanes are very large and VG is very small that there is not a side where the hurricanes pass. Also, it never rains on the whole island is an entirely inaccurate statement during a hurricane, tropical storm or depression.

I am not trying to be doom and gloom but when a discussion about traveling to the Caribbean during hurricane season comes up there are always lots of posts about people who have gone and have had wonderful weather, myself included and good weather is by far the norm. However, if you should get unlucky and be there during a storm, hurricane or depression then you can have some significantly bad weather. IMO the depressions are the worst as they just stay around and dump tons of rain. Grand Cayman had one hang around a couple of weeks ago where it rained every day almost all day for over a week. Same recently in Cancun

I just think it is important to point out both sides of the weather picture so those that are not familiar with the weather in the Caribbean and are making decisions for very important trips have all the information.

B.

Edited: 26 June 2012, 15:15
Boston
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Gorda in October

I agree and was going to point out that the statement that it never rains on the whole island is simply not true. Also, the bad weather is not limited to hurricane season. We were in the BVI a couple of years ago and there was a depression that was sitting over the entire VI area for most of the week. It was pretty dismal and while it is certainly not the norm, it can happen. However, the chances of it happening during hurricane season is much greater.

Personally, I would not go during October, particularly if it is a very special trip. If you do, make sure you buy insurance.

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Gorda in October

As a coastal Florida native- I have seen and experienced over a 1/2 dozen hurricanes- what I think was implied that nail bay is not on the side that hurricanes pass is that the atlantic side will take the brunt of the force- I live on the west side of A1A in central fl-about 40 ft from the ocean- we had a category 3 and a cat 4 hurricane pass in 2004- the damage to the ocean side homes was 10 fold that of those just 40 ft to the west- when the winds first impact they are fierce but their force is quickly mitigated on initial impact- wind measurements went from over 135mph to less than 80 within 40 ft- now imagine crossing an island- further- late August and early sept is your peak season- October is usually very low risk and usually cat 3 or greater hurricanes- are a blue moon event- id go in October in a second- watch for patterns in the hurricane tracks- they tend to pick a route early in the season and tend to trend on that route-if the bvi is in that path then consider travel insurance- if your playing the odds game- maybe look and see if auto or flight crashes are higher in October as well- its probably about as significant a factor as your risk for hurricanes hitting the bvi in oct- I'll give you a thousand to one odds on a cane hitting the bvi in oct- in fact- ill insure you- sept.. That's an entirely different story

9. Re: Virgin Gorda in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 00:47
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations