We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is Guavaberry from the Beach?

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norristown...
Level Contributor
335 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How far is Guavaberry from the Beach?

Hi! I'm a little confused. Everything we've read about Guavaberry Spring Bay makes us want to stay there, but when I look at all the photos, they make it look like the villas are pretty far away from the beach. I have nothing against a nice walk to the beach, but could someone please clue me in about the distance? is what I see in the photos - where it looks like you're looking out over a bunch of trees toward the water - just some sort of optical illusion?

And while I'm at it, I might as well ask this: Checking airfare, it looks we pretty much have to fly in to Beef Island (we're coming from Phila PA), and most flights don't get us there until something like 4:45 p.m. Is there a better way to go? Has anyone ever tried Sunshine Air out of San Juan direct to VG?

Thanks in advance for all replies!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is Guavaberry from the Beach?

It depends on which Guavaberry property you are renting. Most of the bungalows are a 5-10 minute walk from the beach. They are built higher up and have good views. The distance between villas and the beach also depends. Could be a fifteen minute walk, or could be on the beach. What units are you looking at?

You can now fly Air Sunshine direct from San Juan into Virgin Gorda again. You could also fly into San Juan and take Air Sunshine or take the ferry.

Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
304 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is Guavaberry from the Beach?

Fly into STT and then take the ferry. Tues and Thurs a direct Speedy ferry at 5 PM Sat at 3:30PM Other days take Roadtown Fast Ferry at 4:15 PM and connect with Speedy ferry at Roadtown at 6 PM

Norristown...
Level Contributor
335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is Guavaberry from the Beach?

Thanks for the reply, ACB! Well, we did a little more research, looked at more pictures & read more reviews. From a "luxury" standpoint, we've pretty much narrowed it down to Casita. Looking at the standard accommodations, we're wondering if the 1-bedroom units would feel tight, and the 2-BR units are looking more inviting - in particular Hibiscus and - I think -one called Lime Tree. Would appreciate your opinion regarding the pluses or minuses of any of these, and, since you are clearly familiar with the layout, would also appreciate any recommendation you might have for a specific unit we should look into.

Thanks also to both ACB and tpcook for travel recommendations.

And if anyone else stumbles upon this post and has additional info or opinions, please chime in!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is Guavaberry from the Beach?

No problem, glad to help. How many folks are in your party? If just two of you then a one bedroom would be just fine. I would also consider one that has a/c in the bedrooms. You do get a breeze further up the hill, but the a/c is a plus at night. It also blocks out (very early) morning crowing from the noisy roosters. I know that Lily has a/c. Couple of parties of our friends have stayed there. It is about a 10 minute walk down to Spring Bay, another 10 minute walk down to the Baths. The view is very nice, straight down Sir Francis Drake Channel - very good sunset view.

If this is a budget issue, I would use fly in to STT, use the ferry, and take the extra money I saved and rent a car from Mahogany for the week. Excellent company; Guavaberry will arrange it for you and Mahogany gives a nice discount to Guavaberry guests. With the car, you can drive from your bungalow to the beach in three minutes or less. Sounds lazy on the front end, but you will be happy on the return when you are walking up the slope in the warm afternoon. Also you will have easy access to many other great beaches and dining on the island.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far is Guavaberry from the Beach?

Also, what time of the year are you going?

Casita is on the Atlantic side, by the way, and gets constant breezes. It is and easy (less than 5 minute) walk to the top of the Baths/Devils Bay from there, but your still have a 15 minute walk down the trail to either beach. Spring Bay is a good 15-17 minute walk from there.

Norristown...
Level Contributor
335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far is Guavaberry from the Beach?

Thanks again ACB! Well, here is what has happened since your first reply: We read just about every review and looked at every picture we could find and we finally decided to splurge and go with Casita - drawn by the pool & the overall "openness" that comes through in the pictures. Like I said, we don't mind the walk to the beach, but being able to jump in more water after a potentially hot hike back is hard to pass up! We're checking now on STT flights. To answer your other questions, there are just two of us and we're going in early September - I know it's big time hurricane season, but we'll get trip insurance. And we always rent a car - can't imagine going to place like this and not exploring as much as possible. Since you've been so helpful so far, would you mind recommending a couple of places to eat? In particular, our experience has been that finding places for breakfast in the islands can be challenging. Again...much appreciated!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far is Guavaberry from the Beach?

You may have some issues with restaurants being closed in September Check with the folks at Guavaberry and they will let you know who is open. Use the Guavaberry commissary for most items you will need for breakfast as well.

Top of the Baths does breakfast and it is a short walk from Casita. They also do lunch and dinner:

http://www.topofthebaths.com/

Mad Dogs is next door to Top of the Baths and does lunch and justly famous Pina Coladas:

http://www.maddogbvi.net/index.htm

The Mine Shaft has lunch and dinner, great sunset views, a free nine hole putt-putt course (perfect after several mixed drinks) and chickens that roost in a tree in the evening. It is about 10 minutes away by car:

http://www.mineshaftbvi.com/

The Rock Cafe has good food for dinner. Make sure you arraange to sit in the rock garden. It is less than a five minute drive away:

http://www.bvidining.com/Rock_Cafe/index.php

Coco Maya has been getting great reiews. It is a new restaurant and I have not been yet. Looks beautiful and the Asian inspired fare sounds delicious. Less than five minute drive:

tripadvisor.in/Restaurant_Review-g147358-d32…

LSL Bakery and restaurant has good baked items for breakfast and solid local food. Less than five minutes away:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147358-d1…

I like the food at Island Pot, across the street from LSL. Good local BBQ.

I tried to name places that were fairly close by. I would also suggest Little Dix Bay, The Bath and Turtle, Chez Bamboo, M&M Bakery (PM for directions and inside info ) - all of these places are less than 10 minutes away by car.

Further away and worth visitng are the Restaurant at Leverick Bay, Fat Virgin Cafe, and Saba Rock. Several folks have posted very good reviews on Hog Heaven BBQ as well.

There are a couple of larger grocery stores on the island - larger than the commissary that is:

http://rosysenterprisesvg.com/

http://bucksmarketplace.com/

8. Re: How far is Guavaberry from the Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2013, 10:17