We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LDB Spring Bay BBQ Picnic, Baths and Devils Bay questions

massachusetts
Level Contributor
270 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
LDB Spring Bay BBQ Picnic, Baths and Devils Bay questions

Hello,

We are visiting Little Dix Bay for the first time over the Thanksgiving holiday for just a short visit, only four full days. Our priorities are beach and snorkeling and I have found this forum really helpful in our planning.

LDB has a Spring Bay BBQ on Thursday afternoons. Has anyone gone on this outing? Here are my questions (any and all info is appreciated). I have read that it is possible to visit both the Baths and Devil's Bay from Spring Bay. What is our exact route if we want to do this starting from Spring Bay and the best way to do this: swimming or hiking/walking or a combination? Is there enough time during the afternoon BBQ to visit these spots or would we feel rushed and/or overwhelmed by the amount of terrain to cover?

Would it just be better to save Devil's Bay for a separate visit on another day? LDB offers "beach drops" to Devil's Bay everyday except Thursdays. They also offer beach drops to these additional locations:

Long bay

Mountain trunk

Pond bay

Savannah bay

Valley trunk

George dog

Great dog

If we go to the Spring Bay BBQ on Thursday (let's call it DAY 1), that leaves us three other days for beach drops. Savannah Bay is a must (DAY 2). So, now down to two days. Should we schedule Devil's Bay one one of those days or save those two days for beach drops to either Great Dog, Mountain Trunk, Long Bay or Valley Trunk? We could also spend one of those days at Mahoe Bay (traveling by taxi).

So many spots, so little time! How should we spend Day 3 and Day 4?

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
933 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
The Baths
The Baths
2,511 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Spring Bay
Spring Bay
244 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Savannah Bay
Savannah Bay
251 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,393 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LDB Spring Bay BBQ Picnic, Baths and Devils Bay questions

Devil's Bay, The Baths and Spring Bay are right next to each other - think of them as one "recreation area" separated into three sections by some boulders.

From Spring Bay you can walk to your left when looking at the water about a hundred feet or so and you'll reach the Bath's. It takes all of about a minute to walk from Spring Bay to the Baths. Or you can easily snorkel around the boulders to reach the Bath's.

Devil's Bay is the next beach further to the left (again when looking at the water) from the Baths. You can reach it by climbing through the various grottos formed by the boulders at the Baths, taking a pathway that goes around the boulder formations or you can snorkel there from the Baths Beach. Depending on which route you take you can reach Devils Bay in under 7 minutes.

So, to answer your question, you can easily visit all three beaches during your time at the Spring Bay BBQ. You'll have plenty of time to explore all three beaches, have a leisurely BBQ lunch swim and snorkel all around the area before it's time to pack up and leave.

You are trying to "plan" your day trip too much in advance and you may end up being disappointed. You may or may not be able to visit all those beaches on your list as weather and sea conditions sometimes prevent "beach drops" at some of the beaches. The thing is you won't know which ones they will drop you at until that day or maybe the prior afternoon - it's certainly much too early to tell you what the sea conditions will be during Thanksgiving. Your best bet is to simply ask the "boat staff" which ones are "open" during the time you are visiting. For what it is worth, Savannah Bay and Pond Bay are usually always accessible, more often than not the Dogs are unaccessible while it's a toss up for Mountain Trunk and Valley Trunk.

Mentioned in this post
The Baths
The Baths
2,511 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Spring Bay
Spring Bay
244 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Savannah Bay
Savannah Bay
251 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
massachusetts
Level Contributor
270 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LDB Spring Bay BBQ Picnic, Baths and Devils Bay questions

Thank you so much CaribSurfer. Your information about the Baths, Devil's Bay and Spring Bay was so helpful. I really appreciate it! I usually just like to go with the flow on a Caribbean vaca but I spoke to the resort yesterday about our arrival plan for this Sunday and they informed me that they expect the resort to be very crowded because of Thanksgiving vacation. The gentleman that I spoke with said that while he would not ordinarily recommended booking beach drops in advance of arrival, he recommended that I do so in this case. He reassured me that we could change our plans pending the day's snorkeling locations, sea conditions, etc. but he wanted to get us into the booking system. Then again, he also said that he would not recommend trying to see Devils Bay on the same day as Spring Bay, so who really knows . . . ;).

Mentioned in this post
The Baths
The Baths
2,511 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Spring Bay
Spring Bay
244 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LDB Spring Bay BBQ Picnic, Baths and Devils Bay questions

I can understand why the gentleman suggested not to see Spring Bay and Devils Bay on the same trip. I agree with CaribSurfer on most every point given (as usual) except for one- it is not possible to walk from Spring Bay to the Baths in a minute.

When you walk south on the beach at Spring Bay you will eventually come to a stop in front of a massive boulder field. That boulder field separates Spring Bay from the Baths. There is no trail along the shore or through the boulders. My son did manage to climb/scramble through the field last year and get through to the Baths beach but it took him about 60 minutes of hot and arduous climbing to go there and back. You can easily snorkel over to the Baths from Spring Bay. It takes 15 minutes or less.

You can also walk down the road to the Baths area from the Spring Bay area. That walk is about 10 minutes or so. Once you reach the Baths are you have a choice of two trails- one to the Baths beach and one to Devils Bay beach. The one to the Baths is steeper and takes 5 to 10 minutes. The one to Devils Bay beach is not as steep but longer.

The bbq is actually held at the Crawl which is a smaller boulder area just north of Spring Bay proper. If you continue north from that area you can climb through a split between two boulders and a short trail through the woods and you will be at Little Trunk beach. Continue north along that beach and you will come to a sand slope with a rope. Head up that slope and along a trail over the shore and then through the woods again and you will drop down on Valley Trunk beach, a very lovely and usually deserted spot.

There should be more than enough beaches to explore in that area to keep you busy throughout the bbq. The best snorkeling in the area is between the boulders separating Spring Bay abd the Baths. Not a lot of coral but huge schools of fish hidden in the cracks of the boulders.

Mentioned in this post
The Baths
The Baths
2,511 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Spring Bay
Spring Bay
244 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LDB Spring Bay BBQ Picnic, Baths and Devils Bay questions

We did the LDB Spring Bay BBQ years ago and really enjoyed it. I would concur that LDB will be busy during Thanksgiving weekend, and I recommend booking in advance.

We've done a lot of diving and snorkeling in the BVI, esp. VG, and are big fans of snorkeling Mahoe Bay. It's a dual reef system, a relatively healthy reef, with a good # of reef fish, and we often see turtles.

…smugmug.com/Underwater/…

As noted, the rocks and boulders on the southern part of VG don't have a lot of coral, but it is an interesting contrast to the reef system along Mahoe and Nail Bays.

We love the diving at the Dog Islands, and the snorkeling we did at Great Dog was outstanding. Keep in mind that Dive BVI http://www.divebvi.com/ also takes snorkelers on their dive boats, space permitting, and will probably be a less expensive way to snorkel the Dogs. Dive BVI has a shop at LDB, and you can easily arrange for them to pick you up at their dock. I recommend contacting them directly.

If your comfortable snorkeling in open water, the stern of the Wreck of the Rhone is a fascinating snorkel. Here is a video of it during a dive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bZE0eDylz4

The first & last parts of this video are at Great Dog, and the turtle photos, squid photos, as well the blue tang photos and video are Mahoe Bay. The turtle video is Coral Gardens, also a part of the Dog Islands:

http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Have a great trip, alashas

Mentioned in this post
Spring Bay
Spring Bay
244 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Dive BVI
Dive BVI
285 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Little Compton...
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LDB Spring Bay BBQ Picnic, Baths and Devils Bay questions

You cannot walk from Spring Bay to the Baths. You can squeeze, climb and crawl if you can find your way through the boulders, or you can quite comfortably snorkel around said boulders. But, you cannot walk from Spring Bay to the Baths.

Mentioned in this post
The Baths
The Baths
2,511 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Spring Bay
Spring Bay
244 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
6. Re: LDB Spring Bay BBQ Picnic, Baths and Devils Bay questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda