We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Anegada

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day Trip to Anegada

If we're interested in spending the day on Anegada and going to Loblolly Bay - does it make sense to rent a car, scooters, or just move around by taxi? Any suggestions for good restaurants and attractions?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Anegada

Geneva, you haven't mentioned how you plan to get to Anegada. If you go with an organized trip, such as Dive BVI's trip to Anegada, they'll arrange transportation for you from the dock to Loblolly, where you'll eat lunch at Big Bamboo, which is a very good restaurant.

If you're planning to take the ferry, I suggest renting a car for the day rather than taxis - you'll save time. and, after going to a couple of places, may save some $. Call Dean or Henriette Wheatley at D & W jeep rentals 284 495 9677. Here is a map with the roads www.caribbean-on-line.com/bv/agmap.shtml

Your itinerary will depend on how much time you plan to spend at the beach(es). Loblolly Bay is a terrific beach, and I think a good place for snorkeling, especially if you're comfortable going out to where the waves hit the reef. There are miles of mostly deserted soft white sandy beaches that connect with Loblolly.

Cow Wreck is another terrific beach, on the western part of the island, and also has a very good restaurant.

Most of the people live in the Settlement, where there is a bakery and an interesting Iguana Project. Also, there are flamingos in one of the four salt ponds that you'll probably see form a distance, sometimes closer

www.bareboatsbvi.com/anegada_salt_pond.html

We're big fans of Liston Potter's by the Sea Restaurant, but I think it is only open for dinner http://www.pottersbythesea.com/

Anegada is a coral atoll and is much different than all of the other VI, which are volcanic in origin. It is flat, arid, and has some of the most wonderful people in the world..

Enjoy your trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Anegada

Agree with alashas on every point. You definately want a car. The backroads are very sandy, thick sand in spots.

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Anegada

alashas and ACB,

Many thanks for speedy posts and travel tips; we're planning to make the trip on our own - early ferry from Spanish town and return late in the day (or whenever). We want to sample the lobster, enjoy some painkillers (compare to Soggy Dollar) and just relax. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Anegada

You are welcome! Some people who do day trips by ferry eat breakfast at the Anegada Reef Hotel, near the dock:

http://www.anegadareef.com/reef/Dining.aspx

Also keep in mind that if you are traveling to the BVI when lobster is in season, then it should also be readily available at restaurants on VG. Of course, having said that, there is something special about eating fresh lobster for lunch at the Big Bamboo Restaurant, looking at all of the beautiful ocean in front of you - you won't hit land again on the Atlantic Ocean until Africa....

east longmeadow, ma
Level Contributor
231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Anegada

You've gotten awesome advice so far.....only thing I can think to add is Fly BVI does a daytrip special for like $175 pp......includes transport and lunch at Big Bamboo....might be worth a call.....fly over...fly back....pretty cool way to go.....just throwing it out there!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Anegada

6 of us were staying on VG and got better rates from charter airlines than charter boats to take us to Anegada. It is a heck of a way to see the islands...

Bvi
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Anegada

thanks for recommending dwjeep rentals. we are here to make ur day an enjoyable one on de island . dean or henny meets u at the dock with the jeep. or pick u up. just note that , most of the lobsters do come from anegada. so the freshest lobster lunches are on anegada. lol. its a relaxing time over here hope u will have a greatday overon the white sandy beaches, also stress free. have a great day.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Anegada

Dean, thanks for posting again. We look forward to renting from you again in late May.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Anegada

Oh man now I have more to add to my tirp to VG in June....I knew I should have stayed longer! Speaking of staying longer..... We have 9 nights on STJ and 4 on VG... should I take some days from STJ? we have been to STJ before.

Edited: 07 February 2013, 19:45
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to Anegada

Since you've already been to St. J, I'd encourage you to consider staying more than 4 nights on VG, especially if the idea of a day trip to Anegada appeals to you. With travel, that probably only leaves you with 2 full days on VG. Have a great trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations