We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit to Virgin Gorda - Question on ATMs

MD
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Visit to Virgin Gorda - Question on ATMs

Hello all, my husband and I are planning our first trip to Virgin Gorda to celebrate our 10th anniversary in May. We are staying at Biras Creek. I have a quick question on currency -- I understand the U.S. dollar is accepted everywhere on Virgin Gorda. Do places take credit cards? Are there access to ATMs to obtain cash? I am just trying to figure out how best to manage funds while there.

Also, for any folks that have been to Biras Creek, can you share any information on tipping? We purchased a package that includes service charges, but I'd appreciate any information on tipping so we can factor that in as well.

Many thanks!

California
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit to Virgin Gorda - Question on ATMs

The US dollar is the normal currency for BVI. We find that most places take our American Express card and for the few that don't just use our Visa card. Of course you should have some cash as a back up. There is one bank in Spanish Town that does have an ATM. I always tend to bring extra cash for a back-up emergency.

www.bvitourism.com/atms-banking

Edited: 27 February 2014, 18:38
Boston
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit to Virgin Gorda - Question on ATMs

There are a couple of ATMs in the Valley, but you will be in an isolated place so you might want to plan accordingly. I presume you will have a room safe as well. We used Credit cards for most purchases but beware that even though the US dollar is the currency of the BVI, the banks consider the BVI as a foreign destination charge and you may be charged a 3% fee on your purchases. AMEX many not charge this fee as they normally do not charge a 'foreign transaction fee'.

MD
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First Visit to Virgin Gorda - Question on ATMs

Thank you both for the information! I really appreciate it.

Nutley, New Jersey
Level Contributor
481 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit to Virgin Gorda - Question on ATMs

Also Chase does not charge foreign transaction fees, so if you have one of their cards you will be OK on that front.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
209 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit to Virgin Gorda - Question on ATMs

There are two banks - Scotiabank and First Caribbean that have ATM's fairly close to each other along the main road just past Yacht Harbour in Spanish Town - cheers Brian

Upstate, NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Visit to Virgin Gorda - Question on ATMs

I believe only some Chase cards don't charge foreign transaction fees, some do charge 3%. heck your cards terms to be sure.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Visit to Virgin Gorda - Question on ATMs

We do call our bank and let them know we'll be in the BVI. SunTrust shut down my ATM card when we in VG in 2012.

Cheers, RickG

8. Re: First Visit to Virgin Gorda - Question on ATMs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations