We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy very good wine in Virgin Gorda

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best place to buy very good wine in Virgin Gorda

We are leaving for Virgin Gorda on Saturday and really want to be able to enjoy good wine while there. We will probably bring a few bottles, but customs limits what you can bring. I checked Buck's Market's list of wines and it is not what we are looking for, generally very low end wines. Any recommendations on where we can get good wines? Also, is it acceptable to bring wine to dinner in Virgin Gorda like it is in the U.S.?

Thanks!

The Billiken

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy very good wine in Virgin Gorda

I am sorry to say that you would have to consider yourself fortunate if you found a good bottle of wine on VG. I have not found one yet. I have found some tolerable quaffing wine - mainly pinot grigio, the kind of stuff that goes down like water and is not offensive - but that is about it. Not only that, but many, if not most, wines are transported cheaply and stored improperly, so it is not unusual to drink wine that is starting to turn.

I have had friends travel there with wine that they have carried to restaurants. Most charged some kind of corkage fee. I would call and ask before making an assumption.

Beer selection is also limited. Becks and Heineken are usually available consistently. My wife considers herself lucky if she can snag a case of Stella for the week.

Rum selection is mostly mid grade product. Fortunately it is inexpensive and blends well so no one really notices the quality after several cocktails...:).

Coco Maya actually had a few good wine offerings. Their cocktail menu is so inventive I would recommend you sample that as well. Also they sell my wife's favorite beer - Duvel. If the food there was poor - which it is definitely not - she would have still given them high marks just for carrying that ale.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 21:51
Boston
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy very good wine in Virgin Gorda

You may even want to consider the wine list at Giorgio's Table which is on the same street as Coco Maya. The wine list is on line if you want to take a look.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy very good wine in Virgin Gorda

giorgiobvi.net/Giorgios_Restaurant_BVI/Wine_…

Here is a link to their wine list

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy very good wine in Virgin Gorda

Good suggestion, BostonTia!

Also Chef's Pantry at Leverick has probably the largest collection on wine on the island. The link, unfortunately, is broken.

St. Louis
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to buy very good wine in Virgin Gorda

Thanks for the responses. We did look at Giorgio's and may go there for dinner. I will look into Chef's Pantry. We normally bring plenty of wine, but I want to be respectful of the customs limits. I do not drink anything but wine and, occasionally, a beer so the other drinks, unfortunately, do not help.

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to buy very good wine in Virgin Gorda

I thought Giorgios closed...

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to buy very good wine in Virgin Gorda

Giorgio's moved in to the space above the Rock Cafe.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to buy very good wine in Virgin Gorda

I think you will find that even the space above the Rock is no longer Giorgio's as he has taken over the management of the Rock - best way to find good wine is to look up TICO's website on Tortola and have it shipped over to VG on ferry - other wise you could make a trip to Road Town and go pick it up - grab a trundle buddy or some other "assisted" carrying or just pick up a couple of cases and take the taxi back to the ferry. We do this quite often when staying at Adagio villa.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to buy very good wine in Virgin Gorda

Great information. Thank you.

So the Rock Cafe is only the Rock Cafe now? Makes sense as both menus were Italian influenced. Has the menu changed to incorporate Giorgio's offerings as well?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to buy very good wine in Virgin Gorda

Here is some info on Giorgio's table that I got from my friend:

As you are aware two years ago Giorgios was on top of the Rock, that has since closed and made into Ecstacy Club, like a disco type club and sports bar, actually if you like loud music a great place and owned by Dwite Flax, Giorgio is now running a restaurant called the Tree House, way up in the rocks over The Rock, he waits for his guests downstairs and takes them up to the restaurant, it was said that Giorgio runs The Rock restaurant but that is not confirmed. We visited the Tree House last year when it was still under construction and is a very unique place and overlooks The Valley. The prices are very high and not for everyone, for us the food has to be excellent to eat there, but the experience may be great, it only seats approx. 20 ppl has its own kitchen and bar.