We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biras Creek or Oil Nut Bay?

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wichita, KS
Level Contributor
24 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Biras Creek or Oil Nut Bay?

Trying to decide between 4 nights at either Biras Creek or Oil Nut Bay in the middle of July. Price for the room we like is about the same at either place.

We like the all-inclusive Biras Creek watersports and excursions, but have heard it may be a little run down otherwise. We like that we can get Hobie Cats and little power boats to take ourselves over to other nearby resorts/restaurants/islands/snorkel spots.

We just learned about Oil Nut Bay yesterday. Rooms and resort look terrific, but have concerns about being isolated and perhaps having to add on expensive excursions to get anywhere else. Also, there are essentially zero reviews of the place out there save one thread we found on this forum. We can't figure out what sort of equipment they include with the price of the room.

Any advice? I expect we'll spend most of our time snorkeling, sailing hobie cats, taking small power boats to other islands/restaurants/resorts, paddleboarding, kayaking, and relaxing.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Biras Creek or Oil Nut Bay?

Hi both are very isolated,

oil nut is newer and nicer just not sure of there activities

Have stayed at Biras and there ocean front rooms are very neat, you are right on the ocean

either one is a good choice to me but I would do Oil Nut

I would just make sure how you get around island and activities and restaurant.

Its run by the same people so they could answer any questions

let me know if you have any specific questions

Boston
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biras Creek or Oil Nut Bay?

I just returned from my third trip to Virgin Gorda, and spent a lot of time exploring the island and various hotels and villas. Personally, given the choice of Biras or Oil Nut, I would choose Little Dix Bay over either place.

I haven't stayed at Biras, but from what I know of the hotel it's quite isolated, and its one swimming beach is fine but nothing special. Rooms face the wild east coast -- not the calmer, more beautiful west coast of the island.

Oil Nut Bay appears to be barely complete, and it's even more remote than Biras. It might have ultra luxe accommodations, but little Caribbean feel or flavor. (A review I read of the place described it as being like the Maldives. But who wants the Maldives in the Caribbean?) And it has a man made beach, which is odd on an island of gorgeous natural beaches.

I had drinks at Little Dix Bay last week and have explored the place several times over the years. It's a classic Caribbean resort, with a gorgeous beach and the feel of understated luxury. The grounds are beautiful and the central location would allow you to explore this lovely island. It was developed (by Laurence Rockefeller) in sync with the island, so it feels like a real part of it -- unlike some fancy villas I saw that could have been anywhere.

My two cents; hope this is helpful.

Wichita, KS
Level Contributor
24 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biras Creek or Oil Nut Bay?

Thank you both for the advice! We settled on Oil Nut for a four night stay. If we can get to a Maldives like place without flying halfway around the world, that sounds great to us! We like the idea of the isolation and we love the looks of their pool area. It sounds like we can get ourselves over to the other resorts in the area either by use of the ferry system or the trails or by renting a boat, so if we decide we need to get away, we can. We'll probably take a day trip over to the Baths and the town so we can get a feel for what the more populated side of the island is like.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Biras Creek or Oil Nut Bay?

if I was you I would rent a boat for the stay, the best snorkeling we did was right in front of Oil Nut at the reef.

Oil Nut , I was reading, also gives you a golf cart to get around the island

please let me know how your stay turns out, we are looking there for next year.

Wichita, KS
Level Contributor
24 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biras Creek or Oil Nut Bay?

Yes, they give us a golf cart, they have mountain bikes, and they have a ferry that runs all the way over to Gun Creek, with stops at Leverick Bay, Biras Creek, etc. It sounds like it should be pretty easy to make our way around, even if we don't end up renting our own boat.

9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Biras Creek or Oil Nut Bay?

I am curious how your trip to Oil Nut Bay turned out. We are considering staying there in June. Any advice or suggestions? How easy is it to get around the island? Many thanks!

Wichita, KS
Level Contributor
24 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biras Creek or Oil Nut Bay?

We loved it and had a fabulous stay. We'd go back again in a heartbeat. It's not easy to get around the island on your own, but the staff at Oil Nut makes it as easy as possible. We used their free ferry service to get around to other restaurants in the North Sound, and they arranged a rental car for us one day, which we go to and from via their ferry.

9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Biras Creek or Oil Nut Bay?

Thank you for your response. Is it possible to get around the island using a golf cart from Oil Nut Bay? Did you stay in a Cliff Suite? Thank you again.

Wichita, KS
Level Contributor
24 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biras Creek or Oil Nut Bay?

No, you can only use the golf carts on the ONB property. There are no roads connecting that end of the island to the rest of Virgin Gorda - you have to use a boat, either your own or the free ferry that's provided by ONB.

Yes, we stayed in the Penthouse Cliff Suite with the Fendi decor. It's just as advertised in the photos they have online. We found it difficult to want to leave the room at all!

J S
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Biras Creek or Oil Nut Bay?

What dining options are there at Oil Nut Bay? I'm considering going in the fall. If you are limited to staying on the ONB property unless you take a ferry, are the food choices there enough to keep you satisfied for a week?