We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report July 26 - August 3

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
437 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report July 26 - August 3

I'm midway through writing up a tremendously long trip report on my blog, I felt like a gringo, so I'll post a link rather than a separate entry. I'll be continuing it within the next few days with lots of snorkeling reports, but here's the first part.

http://ifeltlikeagringo.com/

New Jersey
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report July 26 - August 3

I'm hooked and hungry for more. Thanks for sharing.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report July 26 - August 3

Really loved it, and greatly appreciate the review of Bayview.

Keep it coming!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report July 26 - August 3

So glad you enjoyed yourself. I actually wish there were more places to stay on the beach that didn't break the bank. I inquired about Bayview a while ago for 2015 and they were sold out. I am going during high season so that is why. Good to know that it is a good place for possible for future trips.

Did you mind not being closer to the beach? Glad you had a good time, looking forward to the rest of the report.

oregon
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report July 26 - August 3

Great report - MORE PLEASE! Would love to hear more details about your snorkeling experiences. We'll be there in April 2015, and are avid snorkelers. We're hoping to see some colorful, healthy coral formations as well as the fishies - oh, and turtles too.

We love STJ (I always cry when it's time to leave.) From what I've gleened from trip reports on this forum, I think we'll like VG as much as STJ - and maybe even more.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
437 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report July 26 - August 3

FINALLY finished the snorkeling report.

ifeltlikeagringo.com/2014/…

It's ridiculously long...hope you enjoy it.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report July 26 - August 3

YAY...I have been waiting. THIS makes my whole afternoon!!!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
437 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report July 26 - August 3

Oh, and to answer some previous questions--I really don't mind not staying directly on the beach. It's nice to do it, but I'd rather stay in a tiny cottage in the jungle (which Bayview wasn't, it was enormous) than not make it to the islands at all. Based on our experiences, when you stay right on the beach you have more of a tendency to just go outside and hang out, and I like exploring and trying out ALL of the beaches! Plus, it's great to be able to walk to go out to eat and buy groceries...it's best not to drive when you've been hitting the Painkillers.

And Linward, I think the snorkeling is at least as good as STJ, maybe better. There aren't as many bays, but they're gorgeous, less crowded, and full of things to see. We really, really liked it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report July 26 - August 3

So enjoyed your report .

We too encountered the giant lobster - like something out of a Japanese horror flick lol !

What a weird experience with the sea butterflies. Such a pretty name for such an "ungentle" visitor. I'd never heard of them.

I think the mystery fish may be a sandiver but not sure due to the green coloring.

I'm jealous you got a couple of extra days !

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report July 26 - August 3

is the mystery fish a type of wrasse??? i thought about the sand diver too but they seem to hang on the bottom and they do look a bit different.

oregon
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report July 26 - August 3

Ohh - Thanks SO much for your Snorkeling Report! Such fun, informative reading and viewing; definitely NOT "ridiculously long"! I loved it, and just can't wait until we can experience snorkeling there ourselves!