We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one for Yank

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
one for Yank

Thank you Yank! You sound like you know more about the BVI than anyone I've talked to. I like to consider myself a traveler (not a tourist). I don't hang with the tourists, I like to meet the belongers and learn as much as I can about where I am. I prefer no crowds or parties! Anyways, I was in the BVI for 2 wks. last January and for part of the trip we stayed at Leverick Bay (nice place, just not my style- I prefer small- simple). During our stay we saw signs posted warning guests of the "cube jellyfish" that were found in the waters surrounding Leverick. What is a cube jellyfish? Where do they come from? Do they only come around a certain time of year? Sure would love to learn more! We ended up spending all of our time down at Savannah Bay (my favorite beach on V.G.). Hopefully I will make it there this April. Sure would love to see those lemon sharks you speak of! I've only been snorkeling for about 9 yrs. and have been swimming with everything from Barracuda to Manta Rays in Tobago (what an incredible sight to see them flying towards you) but I have not yet been fortunate enough to see a shark. Maybe my fear or lack of knowledge of them has stopped me from this great experience ( I freak myself out and start to hear that stupid jaws music). Maybe if I was able to see one for myself I would have a better understanding of these magnificent creatures. Is April a good time to see this at Savannah Bay? Please help me get past this fear, I need to learn more. Maybe I'll see you there one day! Teach me, teach me!! Here's to swimming with sharks! Thanks again!

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
396 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one for Yank

Hi Again !

I live in Leverick Bay. Anyway, the jellyfish that you were warned about are Caribbean box jellyfish or sometimes they are called sea wasps. They can pack a nasty sting, but are pretty rare, and are only around a few times yearly. They are transparent, have a cube shaped bell about 2-3inches in size and four long transparent tentacles. The are very difficult to spot in the water and can occur at any time of year, but again, it's a pretty rare occurence. April/May is a good time to spot lemon sharks at Savannah Bay. They are usually cruising back and forth along the shoreline, so you can actually stand on the beach or in the shallow water and still get a great view of them and still be in your comfort zone. Cheers, Yank

2. Re: one for Yank

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 20:15