We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobster lunch and other questions

Williamstown NJ
Level Contributor
426 posts
232 reviews
Save Topic
Lobster lunch and other questions

We are going to BVI the first week of May and are planning a day trip to Anegada and we have a couple questions. We like some answers from someone who has been there recently.

What is the estimated cost for a lobster lunch? Best place to eat lobster?

How expensive are drinks and beer at beach bars? Best low key/inexpensive bar

Suggestion for best 2 beaches to visit that have great snorkeling

Any must see spots.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lobster lunch and other questions

Haven't been to Anegada recently, but our experience from day trips as well as staying on Anegada is that meal prices tend to be comparable at most of the restaurants. Here are reviews of the Lobster Trap restaurant, and a recent one says their lobster lunch was $50 tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147362-d1…

We haven't eaten at the Lobster Trap, but have had a delicious lobster lunch at the Big Bamboo Restaurant, which is located on Loblolly Bay, a beach we highly recommend. I suggest driving from there to Cow Wreck Beach - you'll pass the pond where the pink flamingos reside. CWB Resort also has a very good restaurant and a good bar to hang out.The Settlement is an interesting area, where most of the residents live, and where you'll see the fire station, other gov't buildings and the Iguana Rehab project.

Have a great trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Chicago
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lobster lunch and other questions

I was at Anegada a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed Loblolly Beach and Reef Hotel for lobster. I can't comment on the price because I don't remember. I think the beauty of it all made me dizzy.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lobster lunch and other questions

We were on the island for the first time this past January 2013. We all loved the island. We went to Big Bamboo. Unfortunately, no one had the lobster. We are from New England and don't care about Caribbean lobster.

I would recommend to do what we did. Go to both Loblolly and Cow Wreck. You can get the lobster at the Big Bamboo on Loblolly beach. These are two gorgeous beaches.

I had my snorkeling gear with me and did not use it. The surf was huge at Loblolly. You can see the reef from shore. The waves were breaking out at the reef, but were still coming into shore quite strong. We preferred swimming at Cow Wreck. We didn't have much time at Cow Wreck, but everyone seemed to favor that beach. It was a lot calmer. I did see people snorkeling there too.

No matter where you go or what you do on Anegada, I hope you will love it as much as we did! Enjoy!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lobster lunch and other questions

I forgot to answer your question about prices. The food prices seemed comparable to other islands, and for the most part the drinks were too, maybe a tad cheaper!!

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lobster lunch and other questions

Please post about your visit once you're back! Totally agree with Boston Tia, Anegada is a very special little island, We loved the day we spent there. It's truly off the beaten path in the Caribbean so take loads of photos.

Thanks! ;~>

Edited: 07 May 2013, 18:08
Hampton Bays, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lobster lunch and other questions

About how much was your lobster lunch at Big Bamboo? Jeez $50 for lobster sounds very high

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lobster lunch and other questions

$50 sounds about right. It may have been $40+ but rounding it out and including tip would bring it to $50. It's absolutely worth it though. The really great think to do while you're at The Big Bamboo is to find a piece of driftwood on Loblolly then go to the bar where they keep their magnifying glass. You sketch a message for posterity onto the driftwood then with the use of the sun, you burn it with the magnifying glass into the wood forever. After which, they'll add it to the collection hung around the bar.

Much better than the t-shirts, bras, swimsuit pieces and other bits hung on the ceiling at Foxxy's on Jost Van Dyke which is also in the BVI.

Enjoy your vacation, these are truly beautiful islands made more so because they're off the beaten track!

Boston
Level Contributor
170 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lobster lunch and other questions

I believe my husband and I paid about $45 for the lobster at Loblolly last year. We are New Englanders too and we hemmed and hawed about paying that price for a lobster. But we're glad we did - it was deliciously prepared and part of the experience of visiting the island. We preferred the snorkeling at Loblolly over Cow Wreck, we even saw a few turtles. I wrote a blog about our day there at

…blogspot.com/2013/02/tranquility-day-trip-f…

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
23 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lobster lunch and other questions

We ate at Big Bamboo two weeks ago and also stopped at Cow Wreck Bay the same day where I looked at the menu. Big Bamboo offers two lobster sizes. Small is around $35, Large is around $45. At Cow Wreck Bay the menu offers a whole or a half lobster. I did not see the sized to compare, but their whole lobster price was higher. Personally, I order fish at Big Bamboo whenever I go. Snapper was around $18 and delicious.

10. Re: Lobster lunch and other questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Anegada
Recent Conversations