We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Peter Island from JFK

Matawan, New Jersey
Level Contributor
74 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Peter Island from JFK

Hello,

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon and want to go to Peter Island for a week, then stay at Fort Recovery for another week. The prices of flights from PA, NJ, or NY to Beef Island just keep going up and are between $930 and $1200. People keep saying that flying into St. Thomas is better due to prices, but my math just isn't adding up when including cab and ferry fare. It also seems a lot more inconvenient. Can anyone please describe their experience flying into St. Thomas and how much money and time they spent getting to Peter Island or any other island in BVI. I would greatly appreciate any help you can throw my way. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
785 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Peter Island from JFK

If you don't mind changing planes and airlines you could look into getting a cheap flight to San Juan(sometimes great deals out of NY) and then one of the local carriers to Beef Island or St. Thomas. Check out Cape Air ( they fly into Beef Island) or Air Sunshine. I find checking Expedia or Travelocity leaves out the smaller, less expensive carriers. If you check out the Luis Munoz Marin International Airport web site you can get a list of the airlines departing and arriving throughout the day with the airports the fights are headed to or coming from. This will give you those smaller airlines to check out. Good luck with your plans.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Matawan, New Jersey
Level Contributor
74 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Peter Island from JFK

Newfie,

Thanks for the reply. I checked both Cape Air and Air Sunshine, and their flights from SJU to EIS are $436 to $500 for 2 people round trip. Just about the same as American Eagle. It's kind of crazy that they are just a little bit cheaper than flights from Philadelphia to San Juan. Can anyone tell me about their experience going to St. Thomas?

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Boston
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Peter Island from JFK

I prefer to fly into Beef Island (Tortola) because I think it is a big hassle to fly to STT and take the ferry. I think it is inconvenient, gives you something to worry about (will I make the last ferry, will it be late on the way back and will I miss my flight, etc.). On the way back you need to clear customs twice. Once when you get off the ferry from Tortola, then again at the airport when you leave.

It may be a bit cheaper, and I am not sure it is when you add everything up, but for me, its not worth it. We only did it because we could not get a flight out of Tortola but could get one out of STT. Plus, it means you actually have to go to STT which I, for one, try to avoid.

I like to get off the plane and be there, not spend another two hours getting to my destination. As it is you will have to go to Roadtown to get the Peter Island Ferry. Having said all that, some people love to go that route, I am just not one of them.

Enjoy your holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
British Virgin...
Level Contributor
803 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Peter Island from JFK

I fully agree with the above sentiments, re: Beef Island vs. STT. I believe Peter Island operates a shuttle from Trellis Bay, which is right next to the BVI airport. I did the St. Thomas ferry once, and it was the trip from Hell.

Focus your efforts on finding better air fares. Those you are quoting are fairly high. If you are marrying on a Saturday and trying to leave that night or the following morning, that may be affecting the price: weekends are often higher. Also school holidays tend to be higher, and the cheap tickets sell out faster. If either of you is a schoolteacher, you may not have much flexibility.

Here are some suggestions. Try a late-night (essentially overnight) flight into San Juan, with the connecting flight leaving in the morning. The hotel in SJ won't cost any more than PI, and you'll get a full day at the resort, because you'll arrive early in the day. If you have an overnight between the flights, there is less risk of separate tickets on different carriers. Look for a cheap flight into SJ and a cheap flight on AA or CA into Beef Island (those morning flights tend to be cheaper, too.) Try flying on a weekday instead of the weekend. Look for flights on Kayak.com - they seem to check many of the other sites.

Mentioned in this post
Trellis Bay
Trellis Bay
52 Reviews
Tortola
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
342 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Peter Island from JFK

Hello:

I just bought tickets from JFK to STT for 292/rt non-stop on AA Then a ferry ride to Roadtown or west end and then the ferry to Peter Island. I go to the BVI several times a year and always go thru STT. The Roadtown Fast Ferry is the ferry of choice to get to Roadtown. Nice A/C cat.

E-Mail me at tpcook@videoautomation if you have any questions.

TpCook

South Sound Luxury Villa

Virgin Gorda BVI

Mentioned in this post
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Frenchman's Cay...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Peter Island from JFK

I have had a large number of guests come over to St Thomas from LaGuardia on Spirit Air, whos fares are not listed on Expedia, and have booked their tickets for less than $300 round trip - in February. Even if you can't make it in time for the ferry on the way in, the cost of both your flights ($600) a hotel ($200), cab ($20) AND ferry ($100) will still probably come to around the same price as ONE of the tickets you have found.

I have been in this business for several years and have rarely heard guests complain about coming over from St. Thomas or Spirit Air, and have done it MANY times myself. Yes it seems a bit more tedious, but at the end of the day you can save a LOT and have more to spend while here. Its all an adventure!

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
312 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Peter Island from JFK

Peter Island Resort provides a ferry service from St Thomas on Tuesdays and Saturdays if that is of help.

http://www.peterisland.com/arrival.html

trudi@bestofbvi.com

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Matawan, New Jersey
Level Contributor
74 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Peter Island from JFK

i might want to specify that the price of $930 I mentioned in my first post is for 2 round trip tickets. not 1 round trip. not sure if that makes it better. so it will be $465 for 1 round trip to EIS. is that still too high, or should we take them?

Frenchman's Cay...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Peter Island from JFK

Oh wow. Good deal! Take them!

Matawan, New Jersey
Level Contributor
74 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Peter Island from JFK

ok cool. it's a disappointment that those same tickets were $800 for 2 about a month ago, but we didn't decide where we were going to stay yet. now they are $930. i guess that is why i am hesitant. we are staying at peter island one week and fort recovery the 2nd week. anyone have any words of advice? is it a good plan?

Get answers to your questions about Peter Island