We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a honeymoond in Peter Island

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a honeymoond in Peter Island

I'm trying to plan our honeymoon in July of 2012 in Peter Island. I'm having trouble figuring out the most efficient way to get there from the NY area. Tortola seems lengthier because you need to transfer in Puerto Rico but PI yacnt will pick you up any time from what I understand. St. Thomas has direct flights but the PI yacht only comes twice a week.

Any suggestions?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
28 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a honeymoond in Peter Island

When I was there, it seemed like the guests from NY flew into Puerto Rico. I'm from Atlanta so St. Thomas was the way to go for me. I used the PI yacht service, which was fantastic, but I think there are public ferries available on other days (likely a transfer in Tortola).

One set of guests from NC flew into Puerto Rico since they were very prone to seasickness and wanted the 15 min ferry from Tortola vs. the hour ferry from St. Thomas.

I'd go with the cheapest route. Hope that helps.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a honeymoond in Peter Island

We used the PI yacht from Tortola when we stayed at the lovely resort a few yrs ago. Here are some photos:

…smugmug.com/Vacation/…

It's a great place for a honeymoon, in our opinion - a lot of r&r, beaches, spa, etc. Very little night life other than fabulous meals, and the mocko jumbies one evening.

have a blessed union, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Boston, MA
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a honeymoond in Peter Island

There is a helicopter service from St Thomas that can take you directly to Peter Island. (Carribean Buzz http://caribbean-buzz.com/ ) For us, that was more cost and time efficient than a flight direct to Tortola (through St Thomas or San Juan). It is also great because it lets you see all of the islands. The views are amazing. The helicopter only fits two people.

If you have more people another option is the water taxi (dohm's) which brings you direct to Peter Island, with a quick customs stop.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a honeymoond in Peter Island

What was the cost for the helicopter ride from St Thomas?

Newtown, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a honeymoond in Peter Island

I've been to PI 4 times and have always flown into Tortola (actually Beef Island) and used the PI Yacht to transfer us to the island... This in my opinion is by far the best way... My wife and I used the PI Yacht to go back and forth to St Thomas (a day trip for us on a Tuesday) and it was great, but the transfer from the airport, to the boat, then thru immigration control, and finally onto PI would really take the entire day away from luxuriating in the island's comforts.

I just got back last week from my most recent trip and flew out of JFK, thru San Juan, and into BVI.. arriving around 12:PM (yes we did leave very early from NY), but we were on the beach having a late lunch around 2:00PM ... glorious!

I hope this helps :-).. and congratulations!

6. Re: Planning a honeymoond in Peter Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Peter Island