We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches of PI

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
30 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches of PI

I look forward to exploring Deadman's beach and White Bay beach, but do people snorkel at Big Reef beach? Are there any other beaches on the island that you can hike or kayak to which would have good snorkeling? I know we can sign up for a snorkeling trip with the activities desk, but was wondering if there are any that we could hike or kayak to....

massachusetts
Level Contributor
293 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches of PI

i've only been to PI once so am not an expert but i think snorkeling at Big Reef beach would be problematic due to the wave action. it's on the windward side of the island and the waves, while small (2ft or so), were fairly continuous. There could very well be some good spots over there but you'd need to ask at the dive shop.

I wasn't really impressed w/ the snorkeling on the island but the best i found was suggested to me by the folks at the on island dive shop. it was in Big Harbor, which is technically not part of the resort. it was about a 5-7 minute hike from the dive shop across some private property which i was assured wasn't an issue. Getting into the water was a little tricky due to a rocky bottom and some sea urchin type things but once swimming it was fine. Bring some aqua socks and you'll be fine.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
30 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches of PI

Thank you for the info Plev. I'll be sure to check with the dive shop for the best areas. Hike, snorkel, hike actually sounds like a great day!

3. Re: Beaches of PI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2016, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Peter Island