We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

debate on where to stay on GC

NJ
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
debate on where to stay on GC

we have our plane tickets(nov) now we are looking for a place to stay for a week, we are still in debate over northern 7 mile beach, and rum point

we are looking at the retreat at rum point and discovery point club but are not sold on either property,

we would really like a sandy walk-in as few rocks as possible to avoid stubbed, scraped toes - which happened on anguilla (scilly cay)

also

from reading other posts it seems we want a screened porch which limits some choices? i like to drink my coffee on the patio/lanai in the morning and wine with the sunset in the evening. on st. john we had to go inside, not on anguilla... given the economy are trying to keep the whole trip at 1500 to 1800 a piece (2 of us) and we are going to rent a car...

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: debate on where to stay on GC

I have never really been bitten by mozzies along SMB. They spray for them and I get bitten when no other family members do. I rarely use bug spray there -- only when going away from the SMB area. We sit out on our balcony and eat outside often. This has been my experience in almost every month of the year for almost the last 20 years. I have had problems at Calypso Grille, Rolands Garden, etc., and just break out the spray. If you are staying in the SMB area, I would not make a screened porch or balcony a deal breaker. Where our unit is, many of our neighbors who have screened their porches have done so because they have them fully furnished (tv's etc., and or store bicycles, dive gear etc. Hope this helps!

MA
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: debate on where to stay on GC

We are considering a July trip. Do you think a screened porch is more necessary during the summer months?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: debate on where to stay on GC

I have been there June/July/Aug etc. It is always tropical. I don't think the screened porch is important at all as long as you are staying along the Seven Mile Beach area. I do not know if the mozzie plane goes North or East. Others will have to chime in on that. I have been plagued immediately when eating outside at other areas on the island, but those places always have Off on hand!

MA
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: debate on where to stay on GC

By "tropical" do you mean too hot and muggy to enjoy? We've been to T&C in July and there's always been a breeze, so even though it's hot, we've been comfortable.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: debate on where to stay on GC

I have always enjoyed having a screened porch and for me it's a must.

We have stayed at Discovery Point and toured some condos at the retreat. Both are very nice. At DP you are a lot closer to many restaurants and activities in GC. The Retreat is on a much quieter part of the island, but right next door to Rum Point...so you could walk over there for lunch or dinner is you felt like it. I believe that they did a lot of renovation at the Retreat after Ivan.

You need to walk a little south, but right next door for easy access to the sea from DP. At the retreat, there is no protection from the sun on the beach unless you go to Rum Point.

:-)

Santiago
Level Contributor
207 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: debate on where to stay on GC

We have stayed at Discovery Point on many occassions and love it. The screened in verandahs are a must in my opinion. If you stay out on the beach after sunset you get attacked by sand flies, making OFF spray a must. Personally wherever you choose to go I would recommend you buy water shoes, which are available from dive shops. With these you can enter the water anywhere without any misshaps.

columbus,oh
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: debate on where to stay on GC

We made a stop at Rum Point during our charter excurcison in March of this year.It reminded me of cruise ship on land.The beach is tiny with millions of cruisers,didn't like it at all.Nothing in GCM comes close to SMB.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: debate on where to stay on GC

I know that Discovery Point has a loyal following and it is a nice complex. One reason that it has never been my choice is because the water access situation seems to change from year to year, and I don't like surprises. I have seen it range from manageable to impossible, depending on the tides, recent storms etc.

On the issue of screens, there is a mosquito control program for the Seven Mile Beach area and I have not found them to be a problem. We stayed for 10 years at a property that did not have screens, sat outside morning and evening, and had barely an ear buzz from them. I would say that a screened-in porch is nice, but not a necessity along Seven Mile Beach.

Texas
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: debate on where to stay on GC

Rum Point reminded me of Club Med for families. Crowded and acceptable, but not quite great. Look over a website called Caymanvacations.com to view condos and villas. Beaches are described fairly well and there are pics and prices as well. I have been to GC several times and found North 7 Mile Beach to usually be more quiet with less "iron shore". Get a good pair of water shoes nonetheless. Try Christopher Columbus if you like condos.

TPR

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: debate on where to stay on GC

Check out Reef Resort, East End; Summer sale until

Dec.18/09 ( Book by Apr. 30th ). Free day every 5th

day stayed. All inclusive would fall within your

budget. Some rocky areas but more like Shoal bay

than Scilly Cay. Having a car would make it easy