We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very Long Trip Report - 10/2-9/09

Kansas City
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Very Long Trip Report - 10/2-9/09

Friday, DH and my fifth trip to GC uneventful. Arrived 40 minutes early! Picked up rental car from Andy's, stopped at Blackbeard's in Grand Harbour for "essentials", at Foster's in Savannah for "non-essentials", and headed east. Unit at Morritt's was ready early! Spent evening at Kaibo’s Luna Del Mar event. Sat on cushions on ground at low table at water's edge. Just after dark buzzed by spray plane and soon bug-free. Was okay as long as I didn't think about toxins falling on us and our food! Moon was peeking through branches of ironwood tree. Lovely time.

Saturday headed to lower valley market. Perhaps arrived too late (9:30 AM) or perhaps they were having an off day, or perhaps had unrealistic expectations, but was disappointed. Concluded if cooking most meals in our unit (which we did not), visiting market more appropriate. Lunch at Lighthouse Cooking Class was a hoot! Chef Remy cooks a 3-course meal for 10 people max Friday evenings or Saturday lunch. You may be proactive or passive in preparations. Captain G talks briefly about the wine served. For $35CI (each) get lovely meal, recipes (items prepared), glass of wine, picture memorializing event and 20% discount card to the Lighthouse which does not expire. After lunch, naps at home. Dinner of inexpensive local fare quite an adventure at South Coast Bar and Grill. You MUST have a sense of humor to eat here. Ate outdoors under harsh overhead lighting; dinner napkin was tiny cocktail napkin; waitress, although respectful, clearly disinterested in serving us; but food was good.

Sunday. Gullywasher rains 5:30-7:30 a.m. Plan A - spend day at Rum Point. Unfortunately, no Plan B. Familiar with GC weather, decided to wait and see. Headed out 9:30. Just a smattering of people and as suspected, a gorgeous day unfolded. Around Noon, Locals stormed the beach from both land and sea. Plenty of room for invaders from abroad. Lunch at Wreck Bar & Grill tasty. Walked around by Rum Point Club Restaurant and saw chalkboard posting "Join us on the beach for dining. .Wreck Bar & Grill. .open late 8:30. .Saturdays in September". Since it’s October ??? Maybe next year. Stopped by Driftwood to ask how late they serve food. Hoped to come back. Advised stop at 6:00. Likewise, passed on Driftwood. When we got home, DH entertained himself with some net surfing and Caybrews. I sat on patio being amused by birds quickly scurrying across the sand. Since no Driftwood tonight, went to Over the Edge for annual fix of "abuse" by the cranky French owner. Were disappointed -- she wasn't cranky! Food good.

Monday. Lazy day in unit. DH went for annual massage at La Mer Spa. Came back nice and relaxed. Then he headed out to pool. Entertained myself on patio gazing out over the East End magic. Too hot for my "Busy Birds" so watched the crazies on the jet skis in a game resembling "chicken". Stopped by the Resort’s Welcome Party. Then journeyed to Reef for dinner and Andrew Bacon's show which was entertaining and fun. Food good.

Tuesday. Spent lazy morning at home. Note for Kindle owners: Were unable to download anything. Think Amazon downloads through some funky phone signal. Tried at various points around island. Download books and publications BEFORE you go. Assume won't be able to download daily news publications once on island. Early lunch in unit and headed into Georgetown. Stopped by new Boddentown Art Shop -- lovely things and much cheaper than Pure Art. Stopped by Pure Art and Glassblowing Factory. Headed up to West Bay and over to Morgan's Harbour. Nothing going on either place -- just usual cruiser crowd at Governor's Beach and Turtle Farm. Headed to Camana Bay to see new Observation Tower. VERY cool! Mosaic wall breathtaking. Great photo ops. Stopped at Coconut Joe's for adult beverages and snack. Celebrated DH's birthday at Portofino's. As always, OUTSTANDING!

Wednesday. Spent lazy morning at Resort pool. Ate early lunch in unit and again headed West. Saw large blue iguana sunning on the road (it got away safely) and Cayman(nequin) which we look forward to seeing each year. Stopped at Animal House in Savannah to pick up souvenirs for our feline friends back home. Headed to Camana Bay for a movie. Camana Bay Cinema has six or so theaters with stadium seating and rivals North American counterparts. Stopped by National Museum. Very impressive and hi-tech, albeit tiny. Dinner at Resort at David’s. Food and service good. Sat on patio listening to steel pan musician playing on the Resort dock. Pleasant evening with lots of stars.

Thursday. Grudgingly jumpstart on packing. Headed back to Rum Point. On the way, detoured to Starfish Beach. Starfish very close in. On to Rum Point. Another tasty lunch at the Wreck Bar & Grill. Took long way home via Frank Sound Road. Saw the huge construction project just south of fire station -- half a dozen or so buildings going up. Spent last evening dining at Lighthouse. As always, food was excellent!

Friday Sad to leave. Watched Captain Herman bouncing his boat across the waves. Managed to cook breakfast WITHOUT setting off smoke alarm! Finished last-minute packing. Stopped for early lunch at Wendy's in Savannah. Fast food would beat the awful fare at the airport. Checking in with airline and clearing Immigration and Customs uneventful -- about 30 minutes. Dropped remaining CI in Humane Society collection box. And then...goodbye GC. Immigration and Customs in Charlotte was a breeze. DH carded when ordering adult beverage despite white streaks in his hair and nearly completely white beard. Last leg of trip was sandwiched between DH and a man who coughed all but last 20 minutes of flight (he finally fell asleep). Felt like Speed Racer driving home. Told DH, sad when I feel more at ease driving in a foreign country on the wrong side of the road than in my own hometown. Had to turn on the furnace for first time this season when arrived home -- 38 degrees! Good to be home...but already missing GC!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very Long Trip Report - 10/2-9/09

Good attitude, great sense of humor and fantastic trip report! Thanks for sharing. I am now determined to find the mean French woman at OTE just for the experience.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very Long Trip Report - 10/2-9/09

Great trip report. In our years of going to Morritts, we have never gotten into our unit early. Now, we just assume we can't get in early. Don't want to have a car full of cold food in 90 degree heat.

We have been to Over the Edge, but have not encountered the grumpy french lady either. We'll definately have to go next trip. You named several place that we still have not visited.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Very Long Trip Report - 10/2-9/09

Thanks for the great trip report! I always make it my personal mission to make the OTE owner's (Phillipe) sister smile and laugh at least once. It's not always possible, but well worth the effort.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very Long Trip Report - 10/2-9/09

Great report!

I'm a recent Kindle convert :) and am proud to admit it!! However unless you have one of the newest models out that has international availability, as you found out you can't download anything, anywhere out of the country. I think the original models use Sprint and the international ones are using AT+T. But they do charge an extra $1.99 per item on top of the book price so perhaps I'd still be downloading before I left the country. I was reluctant to buy one when it was mentioned on the board less than 6 months ago, and now I love it! Got it before our August trip and am hooked. I wish I'd known the international version was coming out (which being the way the world is, is now less expensive that what I paid only 3 months ago and then for my husband's only 2months ago!). Pain to have to shut it down on take off and landings but otherwise, has worked out great.

So to everyone that had talked about the merits of a Kindle...I've joined the club and can appreciate the extra space that it has left in my suitcase LOL

5. Re: Very Long Trip Report - 10/2-9/09

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2010, 05:19