We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Reef question

North Ridgeville...
Level Contributor
536 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
The Reef question

I've read that it can be quite windy on this part of the island

in your opinion, should we take a jacket or long sleeves? we are leaving next week

thanks,

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Reef question

No matter where staying, always a good idea to have a lightweight sweater since after basking in the warm sunshine all day, it can feel cool when out at at night...or in an air conditioned restaurant!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Reef question

I agree with LoveCayman. Bring a lightweight jacket/windbreaker. You don't want anything to heavy, but enough to block the wind. A pair of loose pants for evening are good as well. No need to get too dressed up though.

North Ridgeville...
Level Contributor
536 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Reef question

thanks guys!

cleveland,oh
Level Contributor
278 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Reef question

Have fun! The Reef is awesome!!

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Reef question

sorry to be odd man out here, but we've gone in April, June, October, and I don't remember what other months, and have never used, needed or brought a jacket or anything long sleeved.

The air conditioners are on in most places, but we've either sat out on the porch, deck, or balcony...depending on where you are, and have never even wished we had something warmer to wear. Don't recall a single place where the AC was pumped up too high.

The tradewinds are a glorious relief from the sun.

Too each his own, obviously, but with new charges for baggage...I just wouldn't take anything I didn't need......except for 101 hair products the older my hair gets! :)

Just my two cents worth,

Celine

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Reef question

If you have sleeveless dresses or tops, then yes I'd pack a light sweater or jacket. Have never stayed on that side of the island but don't think it matters---if you dine inside some of the nicer restaurants they do have air conditioning on and it can get cool. I'd rather bring it than have to buy it.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Reef question

A lightweight sweater is easy and smart or bring...I usually wear one on the flight and pack another.

If packing space is tight, hair products are cheaper and easier to buy on GC than clothing!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Reef question

I just returned on Saturday and this was the first trip in five years (to Cayman) where I was glad I had packed a light jacket. Again, don't need anything for warmth, but the wind and was brutal at times and with the rain it actually got a little cool. I mostly wore a longsleaved linen coverup when I needed it.

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Reef question

to lovecayman......the hair products I bring are from the hairdressers, not over the counter stuff so have to bring the darn things......really not 101...probably 2, and do buy shampoo there.

As for the whole should you or shouldn't you on the long sleeve thing.......seems like I'm the only one who has never needed a sweater nor something long sleeved........must be hot flashes! :) Think also...I mostly, as I mentioned, eat outside so no problem. I wear long pants for travel day and never have needed them for the week either.

Celine

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Reef question

Like you, I use cerain "hairdresser" products, but when traveling for vacation trips, esp to areas where humidity diminishes the results of ANY expensive product, not worth it to me to bother packing those items:)

The plus side of us staying in the central SMB area is the close proximity to a salon in the Strand that carries ALL the best brands stocked by all my "at home" A-ONE hair dresser..and they almost always have "trial sizes" if I feel the need to de-frizz and/or restore!

BTW, wish there was a L'Occitane store on GC....cannot beat L'Occitane's Shampoos and Conditioners and they come in travel sizes! Those are always on the list to my kids of what to buy for me for Christmas or birthday gifts:)

Another great choice is Gilchrist & Sommes Spa Therapy shampoo and conditioner. Have purchased larger sized containers that I pour into travel sized ones and tote along in my regulation size ziploc bag for useon those "special nights!"