We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clouds of Mosquitos

Powell, Ohio
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Clouds of Mosquitos

I've heard that the mosquitos are out of control this year and that nothing is being done. Can anybody comment?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clouds of Mosquitos

Don't know where you heard it from. Just came back after two weeks -- not a bite, saw the mozzie plane several times. Same thing when I was down in the springtime. Maybe someone from the NS or EE can chime in on their areas, but when we were there during the day and early evening -- while I did use repellent, I didn't see or hear any much less clouds -- not even a wisp.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clouds of Mosquitos

This year had been great on the North Side in regards to skeeters for all or trips. However, late last week they got to be a nuisance a few days after some heavy nighttime rains. The DOE plane was out spraying, but the skeeters were vicious. Needed 25% DEET to keep them at bay, weaker stuff left us exposed as food.

We also had some little white Mayfly like insects hatch en masse a few days before that. Didn't bite, but crawled all over you...giving you the creepy crawlies. Those little guys were undeterred by any amount of DEET.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
909 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clouds of Mosquitos

Was driven inside two nights on the East End by mosquitos. Was also driven in off the balcony when an airplane came zooming in from over the water, lit me up with its headlights and DOVE STRAIGHT AT ME.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
909 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clouds of Mosquitos

...it turned out to be the spray plane, but for a minute there I felt like a relative did on his destroyer off Okinawa when a kamikaze hit his ship.

5. Re: Clouds of Mosquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2011, 03:35
6. Re: Clouds of Mosquitos

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 September 2011, 01:17
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clouds of Mosquitos

p59teitel

I once had that same experience with the dive bombing plane. We were having dinner at Kaibo--first I thought it was going to hit us and then I worried about the spray landing on us---don't know if he was actually spraying at that particular moment, but it was kind of scary.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clouds of Mosquitos

Seems like safari gets an ad for woodsmall whether it is mozzies, electrical equipment, etc. Must really really love that company . . . . mmmmmm!

Ditto on the first experience with the mozzie plane. Way back when the Hyatt was in operation, everyone ran to the balconies. I thought someone who had had a little too much stole a plane from the airport!!! The girl at the front desk laughed when we called and said they thought about putting notices in the rooms to calm the uniniated guests!!!

Edited: 17 September 2011, 14:20
Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Clouds of Mosquitos

Richard, the pilot, is good friends with my hosts in Old Man Bay, and has been know to "buzz" their house!

10. Re: Clouds of Mosquitos

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 03:16