We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bioluminescent bay

new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
bioluminescent bay

Someone mentioned taking a night kayaking trip to a bioluminescent bay. We have been to the Caymens twice and this is the first we heard of this. does anyone have any info on this, we would appricate it. trip sounds cool.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
954 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bioluminescent bay

Check out this website: http://www.caymankayaks.com/biobay.htm

We have not gone yet but are going to when we are there over Christmas.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,720 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bioluminescent bay

Here is my review: …tumblr.com/post/602148452/bio-bay-night-tour

I found it to be one of the better nature tours I have gone on.

Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bioluminescent bay

We took the tour on 12/30/2011, and were a bit disappointed. The moon was about 1/4 full, and there were several nearby houses with bright outdoor lights that diminished the ability to see the bioluminescence. At one point our kayaks were grouped together, and we had a tarp over our heads trying to block the ambient light.

It may be a much better tour on the darkest nights with a new moon. The tour leaves from Rum Point on the north end of Grand Cayman.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bioluminescent bay

The kitehouse also offers a bioluminescent tour with a boat. they don't do the tour for 10 days of the month around the full moon.

We went with cayman kayaks one year on a very dark night and it was good.

claimbert1
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bioluminescent bay

We went with Cayman Adventure Sports. They will only go certain weeks, when the moon is not a factor. As they leave from Kaibo Yacht club, there is a longer kayak ride. But it was very enjoyable(you do get a work out!). It lasted about 2 hours. Everyone in our group really enjoyed it. The best part was when we had a brief heavy rain shower, and the impact of the rain made the water light up! Highly recommend.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bioluminescent bay

We're going to be staying in Cayman from 10 of March to the 20th. I'll definitely have to check the moon schedule to see when it will be totally dark. This definitely sounds like something we'd like to do.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bioluminescent bay

I didn't know there was one in GC. We may check it out when we go to see how it compares to the one in Vieques, PR which was amazing!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,720 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bioluminescent bay

Not been to the one on Viques, but the Cayman example will probably "pale" in comparison. It is unfortunately in a small cove surrounded by vacation homes. Still pretty amazing for what it is.

9. Re: bioluminescent bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2013, 10:16