We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

living in cayman islands

london
2 posts
Save Topic
living in cayman islands

I am an australian citizen and i am wanting to move to grand cayman islands i do not have a job yet but my girlfriend does can i buy a one way ticket or do i need a visa of some sort?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: living in cayman islands

A one way ticket will get you turned away at Immigration. You need to line up a job first, have them sponsor your Work Permit and then you can travel to the island. All the paperwork must be done while you are off island. Traveling to any country with a one way ticket is a pretty bad idea

london
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: living in cayman islands

Thankyou for your advice but I found out we can actually go there one way.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,431 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: living in cayman islands

Immigration Info:

www.immigration.gov.ky/portal/page…

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: living in cayman islands

Again, you cannot legally arrive with no return ticket, seek a job, get a valid work permit and begin working. You are taking a big risk.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: living in cayman islands

Yeah, 'can do' and 'should do' are very different things. I've seen plenty of people asked for their return flight information at immigration not just in Cayman but in every country. It's an added risk and if you plan on working there legally in the future it would count against you

On the other hand, if you do intend to follow the other route, telling us all about it here is at best unadvisable

USA
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: living in cayman islands

Here is a link to the legal immigration and work requirements that all the previous posters have been referring to:

www.caymannewresident.com/page_id_5.html

I think it would be in your long-term best interest to read it thoroughly.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: living in cayman islands

My daughter just started working in GC. We were on holiday on the island when she handed in all her immigration paperwork in August for a job she applied for in May and finally got the heads up end of July. We sent her back to NY a week before the holiday was up because the immigration paperwork could not be done while she was on the island. Even with that the work permit wasn't approved until the end of September. The job had to come first -- the employer not the employee pays for and submits the paperwork. If you were coming from the States I would say sure go, bring a cv and get a job and then leave while your paperwork is being done. That will be very difficult coming from OZ if that is where you are. We have a place on the island, go several times a year for just about 20 years now. We are always required to say how long we are staying!

8. Re: living in cayman islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2012, 05:17