We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA (Miami) or US Air (Charlotte) - connection?

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
AA (Miami) or US Air (Charlotte) - connection?

Hello

I'm a British girl travelling to Grand Caymans from London with a short stay in New York. I was wondering if anyone has experience of the connection to Grand Cayman either with AA via Miami around 90mins arriving at 2040 or with US Air via Charlotte around 80mins arriving at 1435. They both seem quite short connections and I've never flown either airline so I'm not sure which is the most reliable to book?

Thanks so much for any thoughts.

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: AA (Miami) or US Air (Charlotte) - connection?

We've flown USAir thru Charlotte to Grand Cayman more times than I can remember and not once had a problem...albeit sometimes we scurried a bit to get to the gate. I've heard from MANY people how much of a pain it is to go thru Miami International Airport however so I would seriously advise against that...though that is not from personal experience.

Happy travels,

Celine

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
383 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AA (Miami) or US Air (Charlotte) - connection?

I would agree with lager. Both AA and USAir are the same as far as reliability, luggage, etc. If I had the choice, I would avoid flying through Miami if at all possible. It's not such a big deal flying out of there but returning through customs and immigration is a nightmare in my opinion.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AA (Miami) or US Air (Charlotte) - connection?

You should have a browse through this thread linked below. There's a few British based people here, I fly London-Cayman 5 or 6 times a year and it usually involves JFK or MIA

Which airline is taking you LHR-JFK? If it's BA I would go with AA, they have a decent schedule from JFK-MIA and on to Cayman. US Airways has way fewer flights than AA so even with the horror stories, you're better off with AA. It really isn't half as bad when you're traveling on a domestic route (which MIA-GCM essentially is on the outward trip)

The airlines are fairly equal but I would recommend AA for several reasons, if you are flying BA or AA to New York then it isn't even up for debate

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147365-i261-k4859…

Edited: 10 November 2011, 17:41
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: AA (Miami) or US Air (Charlotte) - connection?

I was actually thinking of flying Virgin to Newark and then staying a few days in NY. Then on from Newark to GC. On the return it's only offering me an option via Miami but it's a much longer connection so I'm not concerned.

Thanks so much for all your kind advice, am so looking forward to visiting beautiful GC and also seeing the sun again!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: AA (Miami) or US Air (Charlotte) - connection?

If the timing works out for you, Cayman Airways flies a few times a week nonstop to GC.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AA (Miami) or US Air (Charlotte) - connection?

While we generally prefer the Charlotte connection to connecting in Miami, for our GC trip in January AA flights were over $200 cheaper per person than United/US Air. We have plenty of time on the return flight to go thru customs, etc. We've been in Miami numerous other times so we're familiar with the airport and the procedure for making connections. Had problems there for other reasons (mechanical issues with planes) but have never missed a connection because of delays in customs and immigration. Any large airport (JFK, EWR, ORD, LAX, etc.) can be a nightmare for customs and immigration, depending on how many flights come in around the same time.

7. Re: AA (Miami) or US Air (Charlotte) - connection?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2012, 06:17