We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rolex??

UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Rolex??

We are having such a fab time here!! I'm looking for a Ladies Rolex (happy birthday to me!) we've only had a quick peek at kirk Freeport at the strand and not only is their selection small the prices are no different to the UK.

I have been told due to the duty free I'd find a good deal. Any ideas?

Thank you

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rolex??

Cayman is not a shopping destination. Enough said.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,515 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rolex??

I believe there are actually only one or two true "duty free" in the world. Shannon is one of them. Don't know about the prices, but when I bought my husband's watch I priced it in GC, checked it out online and ordered here in the US -- got one model up for the same price and didn't have to pay bringing it home!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rolex??

You'll only get a good deal if they are doing a promotion. Sometimes you can pick up a sweet deal, I got an AP Offshore for about £4000 less than UK retail but that was a one off. My Breitling was pretty much the same as home. It goes in cycles, once upon a time Hong Kong was the place to buy watches, then it was Dubai. Cayman isn't on that level though

If its a base model the price will be about the same everywhere. If you're looking at a presidential or precious metal Daytona, I'd say the US is a pretty good place to buy right now

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,515 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rolex??

Saj -- the AP Offshore is the one he wants now -- if you ever hear of another promo let me know!!!

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
330 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rolex??

I once saved about 20% on a Rolex two tone in St Martin, but that was a long time ago. Gold is so high there is probably not much wiggle room left on gold models. Maybe they would deal better on the stainless models. Make a "low ball" offer and se what happens ?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rolex??

We were in the Cayman's 2 years ago, and I priced my Datejust, didn't buy it there, ended up getting a better deal here in the states. Gotta know what you want and prices BEFORE you go. Sometimes you can find ones here priced better. But my husband did have a ball in The larger Kirks store trying on all the different brands. He's the watch guy....LOL

UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rolex??

As we're comparing UK prices not US I found a good deal on a datejust and am now sporting a very lovely birthday gift! Thanks to all who chimed in with advice, it's much appreciated.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rolex??

Glad it worked out for you, enjoy it.

9. Re: Rolex??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 02:17