We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Totally unique stingray trip

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Totally unique stingray trip

This morning I woke at 6 when my alarm rang. Put on my bathing suit, gathered my snorkel and towels and headed off the the Kaibo pier. I was going on the Ocean Frontiers Sunrise Stingray Trip.

There were 4 other passengers, Colin from OF and Steve Broadbelt who often posts here.

We left the dock at 6:30 before the sun had fully risen. Needed to use GPS to find the sandbar as we were the only boat in North Sound.

Once we were anchored, we waiting for the rays to appear. They are drawn my the sound of the motor, conditioned to believe motor=food. When there were more rays than people (Steve's rule) in the water we went. Colin waited about 20 minutes before bringing out the squid. By then the sun was bright enough.

The feeding began and we were surrounded with rays! The 5 of us stood around Colin and Steve later said he couldn't see the sea floor. It was all rays.

2 of the folks were serious photographers (probably professionals) They appreciated the longer time in the water and the fewer people. By the end, there were more than 30 rays, and that's 5 for each person in the water.

Anyone staying in North Side or East end should choose this stingray option. I was absolutely thrilled with the whole experience. Great way to spend 2 1/2 hours.

Information on the Friday only trip can be found on the Ocean Frontiers web site.

I will do it again when I bring my 3 grandsons to Cayman this summer..

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Totally unique stingray trip

Sue, what a wonderful way to spend the morning. The trip sounds incredible. I love night dives because we usually start as darkness falls so you see some creatures settle in for the night and others begin their nocturnal prowl -- I never thought about it the other way around. I would definitely do it. I am jealous. I got up, had my tea, bundled up and walked a few miles. By the end I was frozen (41F and pretty windy). Give me the stingrays anyday -- thanks for the head's up!

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Totally unique stingray trip

Sue, that sounds WONDERFUL! Is your sister there with you, and if so...how are her new fins?

We've been on more stingray city trips with more operators than I can remember.....how fun to hear of this one and we'll have to try this summer.

Have fun!

Celine

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Totally unique stingray trip

Celine,

Ann is coming Easter Sunday with a couple friends from Seattle. But she does love the fins!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,888 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Totally unique stingray trip

Sue, Steve had mentioned to me in a correspondence that they were starting the sunrise trip. Sounds like a success! Although it would be a challenge to get there from West Bay by 6:30, we might give it a try. One silly question, was it cold in the water that early in the day? I usually count on the sun to warm me up.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Totally unique stingray trip

The water did not seem cold, and by the end the sun was shining brightly. Don't think it will be a problem when you come in September when the water temperature will be a steady 86.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Totally unique stingray trip

I was very excited when they announced this a few weeks ago, but they have an age requirement so I'll have to wait til my 4 year old is old enough to go. But sounds great.

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Totally unique stingray trip

We do make exceptions on age- you would need to do a private charter. Our concern with young kids is their ability to swim and if they get upset and need to be returned to shore. With other customers on board this can cause a problem, if you have chartered the boat- then everyone is 'family'. The captain is also not able to 'baby sit' and you would need to have an adult to be with the child at all times and the adult needs to be a good swimmer. 4 is still probably a little young for them to fully enjoy it, but 5-7 is possible depending on the individual - 8 years is our standard age limit or the regular stingray snorkel trips.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Totally unique stingray trip

Thanks for the info Stephen and I totally understand. He's happy now with the normal tour from Rum Pt but when he gets a little older we might have to do that dawn trip. Sounds awesome.

9. Re: Totally unique stingray trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 11:16