We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

end of Sept trip in quiet resort with off beach snorkeling?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
end of Sept trip in quiet resort with off beach snorkeling?

Hi, husband and I are looking for a snorkeling destination for a week-long holiday at end of September / early Oct. We can't come any other time, and I am worried about the weather and where to go. We wanted somewhere we could snorkel off the beach direct from a small, quiet resort preferable with separate cottages. We don't like big glitzy resorts with lots of people and activities, we don't need shopping and nightlife. We just want quiet, sand, trees, snorkeling off beach and maybe some kayaking. Reading books, that's it! We will be living in Houston so wanted somewhere that was a short direct flight away. The Cayman Islands fit the bill in that regard, but we think Grand Cayman will be too busy for us. I was keen on the Southern Cross Club on Little Cayman, however they tell me they close at that time as it is the rainy season. So my question is - is it a bad time of year to go to the Caymans, and should we look elsewhere? Is there another resort, quiet with good snorkeling, like Southern Cross Club? Thanks

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: end of Sept trip in quiet resort with off beach snorkeling?

If you want off the beach snorkeling then Grand Cayman may be the better choice. The Quite Side districts of East End and and North Side sound like they may fit your desires. Some free standing lodging options to investigate would be:

Ocean Paradise: tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g147365…

Gardens of the Kai: tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g147365…

There are numerous villa and cottage options available on the rental by owner sites, along with small condo complexes.

July-Sept are my favorite months to visit since the snorkeling conditions are usually the best of the year. Just need to keep an eye out for tropical storm activity.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
928 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: end of Sept trip in quiet resort with off beach snorkeling?

Ditto on the East End/North Side recommendation - they are an entirely different world than 7 Mile Beach.

Both the Reef Resort and Morritt's on the East End are pretty quiet at that time of the year, have decent if not spectacular snorkeling out front, and are within short drives of even better snorkeling spots on the North Side. You should review Testudo's truly awesome snorkel guide for more info:

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
215 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: end of Sept trip in quiet resort with off beach snorkeling?

I suspect you can find what you're looking for on the North Side, East End, or even Bodden Town. Apart from Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman is rather calm and relaxing!

I'd definitely advise trip insurance. We're in Houston, too, and it looked for awhile like we'd miss our trip due to Hurricane Debby... only it wasn't Cayman that was affected, it was Houston! Thankfully it turned toward Florida, and we were able to fly out. It was a scary couple of days glued to the weather sites, though!

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,008 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: end of Sept trip in quiet resort with off beach snorkeling?

You might also check out these sites for condos--some are small complexes. The quiet area of the island is NorthSide, Rum Point/Cayman Kai, East End

caymanvacation.com

caymanvacations.com

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: end of Sept trip in quiet resort with off beach snorkeling?

Just a head's up -- the whole island is pretty dead quiet in September. Many people in the service industry take their holiday then, and many restaurants, etc., close for refurbishment, owners go away, etc. There are great deals to be had and wherever you choose the island you will not find crowds. I love September!!!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: end of Sept trip in quiet resort with off beach snorkeling?

Another option:

http://www.grandcaymanvillas.net/

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: end of Sept trip in quiet resort with off beach snorkeling?

Another option: VRBO/North Shore:

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…north-shore

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: end of Sept trip in quiet resort with off beach snorkeling?

Look at Christopher Columbus condos

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: end of Sept trip in quiet resort with off beach snorkeling?

Thanks everyone! I think I am totally sold on the North Side. It's a bit hard to tell which villas have the best snorkeling off the shore - they all say they have the best. I am looking at Azure Villas and Villa Habana, both along between old man bay and rum point. Is anywhere along there pretty much great snorkeling???

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: end of Sept trip in quiet resort with off beach snorkeling?

Oh, and what do people think of the Cayman Kai area as distinct from the north side further toward Old Man Bay? Looks like sandier beaches but not as good snorkeling?