We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
michigan
Level Contributor
14 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
bringing food to grand cayman

We will be visiting grand cayman in February. Can we bring food from home to the island as long as it is packaged properly. Example lettuce which is vacum sealed, bacon, frozen foods. Thank you

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,108 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing food to grand cayman

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147365-i261-k4117…

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,108 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing food to grand cayman

Also, use the search function above and type in " bringing food ". There are 18 pages of links to threads about this question which has been asked repeatedly. It's fun to research.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
739 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing food to grand cayman

Are you really bringing lettuce?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing food to grand cayman

Don't waste your time, energy, sanity, etc bringing food.

No reason to.

Lettuce?

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing food to grand cayman

Tale of two trips...

Got to be 25 years ago when i first went to Costa Rica. We stayed in a nice house by the ocean. It was about a 15 minute walk to a "shop" that sold some groceries. It was about the size of the Tim Buc Too Diner. Sometimes they had things to buy, sometimes they did not. Menu planning was a challenge and fun.

About the same time I was invited for a few weeks to the British Virgin Islands for a sailing trip. I have a great memory of the captain lifting up the floors boards looking for the perfect pinot noir to go with The Saltsping Island Lamb Racks he had brought down.

How about trying "when in Rome?" Grand Cayman has several excellent Supermarkets. Probably some of the best in the region that you can get anything you would want, or need.

Harker Heights...
Level Contributor
233 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing food to grand cayman

I agree with Paperman. I remember packing food to take to Cayman when I was a youth. I even did it once when I travelled with my wife as I got older, still a long time ago. It really isnt necessary as Cayman has everything you need, even if you have special dietary needs.

I think anything extra that you pay for food on Cayman, you will probably pay a similar cost for weight baggage to the airline and it is not worth it IMO.

And "when in Rome" adds a little to the adventure.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bringing food to grand cayman

We used to take frozen food with us, but don't anymore. The grocery stores have a wide selection and the prices aren't that bad. We do take coffee, sugar, powder creamer and breakfast bars so we don't have to make a trip to the store until the next day.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,876 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bringing food to grand cayman

There are many countries that do not let you bring in produce period. It is to save their countries from bad little things that come from other regions. Honestly if you had really special needs or a type of coffee you love (I travel with Irish tea bags -- but I don't have to bring them to GC, I can get them there) I could understand your wanting to bring it. But even thinking of bringing some like lettuce does really seem a little intense. Google Fosters Food Fair Grand Cayman and look at the circular. The Cayman Islands are not a third world country and actually rank higher than the good old US of A. While the selection on Little Cayman or the Brac might be less purely based on demand, that is not the case on the big island! I actually bring spices etc home. So much fresher and bigger variety than I get here in NY with all its specialty shops. Now friends ask for various products that are common place in their supermarkets!!! You are in for a delightful surprise!!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: bringing food to grand cayman

You CANNOT bring fresh fruits or vegetables to Cayman.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bringing food to grand cayman

"You CANNOT bring fresh fruits or vegetables to Cayman."

More importantly, why would you?