We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
267 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

We'll be staying at the Villas of the Galleon at the end of April. We want to rent a car of 2 days. What is the best place to rent the car from? Is it cheaper to rent it from the US?

The only place I found that I could make the reservations on the web is Andy's car rental, are they a good place to rent from. Also, are they walking distance from our condo which is located between the Ritz and the Westin. I know there's an office at the Westin and Ritz but when I go on www.rentalcars.com/Cayman-Islands it keeps telling me there are no cars available which makes no sense.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,888 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

Try contacting CICO Avis at the Westin directly. We make our reservation with them by telephone.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,515 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

Totally agree with kiddos. Calling the 345 local number is cheap and effective. E-mails are not effective in many other countries. You can also check on exactly what model you are getting as the cars are different from what companies in the States offer in categories.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

Very true. What we in the states consider to be a compact, they consider to be full size.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

http://www.aviscayman.com/

I have always booked a car through their website and had no issues.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
734 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

Never had a problem dealing with Andy's. They will come to the condo and drive you to their office. There you fill out the paper work and pick up the car.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,381 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

I too endorse renting from Avis and have never had any problem with them concerning quality of vehicle. And yes, there is an Avis office at the Westin and you can reserve via Avis Grand Cayman.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

I agree with all the other responses. We've rented from both and haven't had any problems. The only car rental problem we had was with Budget. Also, you can just walk over to the Westin and rent in person...

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental

go with the best deal. Everyone has their favorite. We've been using avis/cico and I do it online. I usually email them and get the rate.

Edited: 18 March 2013, 14:19
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental

I think that you can make reservations on the web with any of them, I know we have done it with Andy's, Hertz, Budget and Sixt before without any problems.

My normal advice for people renting form the airport is to go with whatever has availability in the car size you desire and is cheapest. Since you say you don't automatically want to rent from the airport, that adds the other factor in of convenience to where you are staying. Best advice I can give is to call each of them and find out whether they will come and pick you up, or deliver the car, or where their closest pick-up/drop-off point is.

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
267 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental

If we're staying at the Villas of the Galleon is the Ritz or the Westin the closest location? It says the Villas of the Galleon is between the Ritz and the Westin