We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best to allow for flight delays

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Best to allow for flight delays

Here is an article in today's Cayman Compass, talking about the delays that are being experienced right now. Without getting into a political debate about the whys and wherefores (I don't believe that TA is the correct place for that), I would advise anyone traveling to the Cayman Islands to allow for delays in their travel - don't make any plans that you have to pay for in advance that start up to a few hours after you are scheduled to arrive on the islands.

www.compasscayman.com/story.aspx?id=122226

I am sure this advice will apply to any destination while this is going on.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best to allow for flight delays

Issues for connecting flights will probably be a problem. Last year I was concerned about the short connection in Charlotte on USAirways....Probably be more of an issue this yesr

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best to allow for flight delays

The effects of sequestration are very visible and have been for most of the year. The DOT and DHS (overseers of air traffic controllers and TSA respectively) aren't allowed to pick and choose the cuts. What's sad is that this has become a PR exericse, an 8% reduction in TSA budgets has resulted in a 50-75% drop in service at the Immigration and Customs counters. Miami has as few as 3 agents handling all of the 'Visitors'. Crazy

With the thousands of delayed flights, tens of thousands of grounded passengers and millions lost by airlines daily, an awareness campaign is ongoing to get people to complain about the cuts and get things back to 'normal'. Queues of 3 hours at Immigration have been reported at MIA, ORD, JFK, LAX, DFW

I'm fly at least 125k miles a year, mostly in and out of the US and this situation has been as trying as it is infuriating. Seriously thinking about routing through Canada in the future if this stays unresolved

3. Re: Best to allow for flight delays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 05:18