We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
US Airways

We were booked for our 2 week September trip Fri-Fri with US Airways. Through Email, we were informed that our flights were re-booked for Saturday travel. US Airways webpage now shows only weekend flights to Grand Cayman, no weekday option at all. The US Airways spokesperson on the telephone would not confirm weekend only flights, would simply repeat " we have made some schedule changes ". Kayak shows only American Airlines leaving Baltimore and returning on the Friday dates. Anyone having a similar experience? We have re-booked for Sunday since Saturday travel is not appealing to us. Thank goodness for wine/beer and grocery delivery service, hoping that they will deliver on Sunday or the homeowner will allow a late Saturday delivery before we arrive. This is the third year in a row that US Airways has screwed up our dates so we must explore other options for the future.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Airways

I have a ticket with US Air leaving on a Monday (Chicago/Charlotte/Grand Cayman) and haven't heard anything from them [yet].

Edit: I just checked the US Airways website, and they still list a flight from Charlotte to GCM on Monday, Nov.4. Maybe they are just limiting flights to weekends during certain months?

Edited: 30 May 2013, 22:07
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Airways

Could be. Fortunately, the owner of the house has been flexible in the past and the house is not tightly booked. I spoke with the gentleman at Blackbeard's and learned that their delivery service is M-F only. Now, not only do we have to ask the owner to change our dates but also ask if she or the house can accept delivery 2 days before we arrive. For us, neither bringing alcohol along nor not having it for the first night are appealing options. : )

Hoping for a quiet hurricane season, travel dates have changed in the past for that reason, as well.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 22:59
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Airways

Update: I received a prompt reply from Eddie Ebanks, problem solved. Cayman Shoppers will deliver on Sunday, groceries, wine and beer. We'll be all set.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Airways

US Airways and American have now merged so the streamlining process has begun, though in earnest so far. May see some loss of competition on routes they both operate

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Airways

Still a PIA to be forced to go through Miami for a weekday flight from BWI when Charlotte is so easy. The good news is that the ticket price went down and US Airways gave us a nifty refund.

If only Cayman Airways would discover Baltimore........

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: US Airways

Your problem has been solved but for others and future reference, we are now coming along with the times because the new West Indies Wine Company at Camana Bay is able to sell wine and spirits on a Sunday (!!). I'm not positive on their beer selection...mostly specialty beers I think. Now if only Bay Market at Camana was allowed to open on a Sunday...

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Airways

I wonder if it will affect our winter flights.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Airways

I hope not. Thinking about what Saj posted, does American Airlines fly from O'Hare to Cayman?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: US Airways

Not directly. American only flies from O'Hare to Cayman through Miami.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US Airways

cayman Air flies direct part of the year....but we aren't flying them...maybe have to consider it next year