We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh Fish? Local Rum?

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
Fresh Fish? Local Rum?

We will be staying in a cottage in West Bay and will be cooking at home a few of the nights. We would like to grill fresh fish. Where is the best place to buy fresh fish? The grocery store? Are there local fish markets in the West Bay area? Also, we would like to purchase some liquor to consume at the house. Does Grand Cayman produce any liquor? Where is the best place to buy it? Is it duty free at the airport? Thanks!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh Fish? Local Rum?

The fish market in George Town, about 20 minutes from West Bay, is the best place to buy fresh fish. You can also find local and imported fresh fish in the grocery stores. Smushie can probably advise if there is anywhere in West Bay proper to get fish, maybe the docks at Morgan's Harbour.

Seven Fathoms Rum is still the only locally distilled spirit on the island available at retail I am aware of. Tortuga Rums are distilled in Jamaica and not sure about the origins of Big Black Dick rums. None of the local stuff is that cheap IMO either.

With the duty on imported spirits being so high, it is recommended that you bring in your duty free allowance (1L per person) either from home or purchased from a Duty Free store at the airport of last departure. Stop at an on-island liquor store if you need to replenish your supplies. The Duty Free stores on the island are only for exiting/departing passengers.

Edited: 14 July 2013, 00:39
New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh Fish? Local Rum?

Testudo,

Thanks for all the info! Good to know. We have examined your detailed snorkel guides quite a bit in the planning of our trip, thank you so much for posting. We have decided to snorkel Cemetery Reef (just near our place), Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto, Queen's Monument/Babylon, Rum Point, and the area around the Cracked Conch.... any other "must-snorkels" please let us know. Thanks again for your help!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh Fish? Local Rum?

My pleasure. You'll get to cover a good deal of the snorkel environments if you get to all those you plan. Would just make sure you visit one of the Sting Ray City sites.

The GT fish market is located on a tiny beach next to the Cayman Cabana Restobar. You will see some canopies set up and the local fisher folk offering their catch.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh Fish? Local Rum?

The fish market near the harbour usually has a wonderful selection and the going rate is $5/lb. Just be sure to get there relatively early since it's impossible to guess when they'll sell out. They may get some more in but it gets iffy by lunchtime. You can check the boat launch on NW Point Rd. but it's really hit or miss.

I prefer the whole fish, but the fishermen in town will fillet the fish for you -after it's been weighed- if you'd rather. Parking is limited and, although it's one of the places I put the white tourists plates (and my croc/swim trunks/dufus look) to good use, taking the bus would be less of a hassle and about the same amount of time as driving.

The two local methods of cooking whole fish are to steam or pan fry the fish. Steaming in a foil pack on the grill is great but the foil method always tastes better when I've used driftwood burnt down to coals in a hole dug in the sand.

Definitely purchase some liquor on your way down since alcohol is expensive. Depending on where you are in West Bay, there are several liquor stores. Many will sell Havana Club 7-year rum, which is my personal preference when it comes to rum. It tastes like pure nectar and is best drunk either on the rocks (or neat!) with a few drops of fresh key lime.

5. Re: Fresh Fish? Local Rum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 06:19