We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Random Questions

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
2 Random Questions

I'd like to do an Italian dinner (just because I love it!). Price not an issue just looking for yummy food. Which of these would you pick? Luca, Papagallo or Edoardo? Or do you have a favorite I didn't list?

Also, is there anywhere with live music, cocktails ,hopefully on the beach, that you would recommend?

Thank you all AGAIN!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Random Questions

Go have happy hour at Ortanique in Camana Bay and enjoy the view and the wonderful drinks and foods. My favorite restaurant as a foodie for Italian would be Luca. I do love Casanova in GT and had many many wonderful meals -- ask for a table on the beach and get there to watch the sunset. I have not been to Edoardos in years but friends who were there in May said it was their worst meal on the island. I still enjoy Papagallos but only get there once in a while. I love Morgan's Harbour -- food and view wonderful, think of it as mostly seafood, but I don't eat pasta so maybe I just haven't looked at the rest of the menu. Food is very subjective so what one might like another might not. Have you looked at menus on caymanrestaurantguide.com and caymangoodtaste.com. I believe you are staying at the RC -- ask your servers there as well particularly those at the lobby bar --- they know whats happening on a day to day basis, have friends all over and can be very discriminate about where they eat -- they have the "insider" info!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Random Questions

I'd second Luca and the suggestion to check out caymangoodtaste.com. You can sort restaurants by food type.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Random Questions

I really love the pasta at La Dolce Vita. I find their service to be slow but if you know that going in, you will not be disappointed with the food. Casanova has friendlier staff but the food at LDV blows Casanova out of the water. Also for cocktails and live music, try Deckers on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night. Hi-Tide, a local cover band featuring a guitar and a bongo, plays each of those evenings. It's not on a beach but is outdoors and a favourite of mine.

Edited: 21 July 2013, 15:52
NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Random Questions

Of your three Italian meal choices, we favor Papagallo's for menu and taste. I highly recommend you view the restaurant menu for each of the 3 to see if it's what your idea of Italian will be. I think Edoardo's is more typical Italian(American :) fare(as in Casanova's in my opinion). Luca had a limited menu for our party. Half loved it, the other half ended up eating the same thing each time we visited. We had zero luck on both meal and service at LaDolce Vita. But as mentioned previously, it's also a matter of taste. To some the sauce at one place is exquisitie and to another person it's flavorless.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,262 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Random Questions

We loved the food at Casanova but did not care for the atmosphere, servers or cramped outdoor deck. Love everything about La Dolce Vita and Edoardo's . In all these years, have not been to Papagallo or Luca since I could never find anything on the menus that we would eat. We still miss Bella Capri, our all time favorite. Filter14 is correct, what might be " yummy " one person could not be appealing to someone else. Read the menus before you choose since we all have our preferences.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,904 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Random Questions

AH!!! Bella Capri was wonderful...sadly gone for many, many years:-(

Luca is a top choice for husband and me, but menu is not as extensive as at some other places.

Had a not so great experience at Pappagallo (they were out of several meal choices we wanted as well as bottles of wine that were husband's 3 choices !) but it has a lovely, unique atmosphere.

We continue to be pleased with Casanova and Edoardo's...last time as both was mid March.

Agree, things can change rapidly there just like they can here in USA so asking servers at hotel a super wonderful suggestion! Leave it to Retrip to hit a home run on how to get the most current info:-)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Random Questions

Great, thank you. looking at the menu I could eat at each of these,one every night we are there! I think Luca suits us best and I did check out caymangoodtaste.com, I found it to be very helpful.

8. Re: 2 Random Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 06:21