We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our flight leaves Cayman on a Sunday at 2:35 PM - What time

Iowa
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Topic
Our flight leaves Cayman on a Sunday at 2:35 PM - What time

What time would you suggest we be to the airport to clear security and immigration? We also have a rental car..... thanks! P.S (US Airways)

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our flight leaves Cayman on a Sunday at 2:35 PM - What time

we usually get to the airport 2 hours in advance...and usually have a long wait in the departure lounge. I imagine a lot of people aren't there that far in adance, but I am one of those that would rather sit and read in the lounge than Get anxious about the plane leaving without me.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 16:26
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,463 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our flight leaves Cayman on a Sunday at 2:35 PM - What time

We always go in the morning when the counter opens and check in and give them the bags . . . we park the rental in the short term lot. Then we leave and go have brunch, lunch whatever, go to the condo and shower and change for the flight and get there about an hour before the flight leaves for immigration etc. We have been doing it for years and it has proved a much nicer way to end the holiday than standing on line forever closer to flight time to check in and then being stuck at the airport forever. If you do stay there, check in and if you want a quick bite to eat go upstairs to the Hungry Horse before you go through to the gate. Much better options than the little open bar by the gates!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,957 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our flight leaves Cayman on a Sunday at 2:35 PM - What time

Two hours in advance is probably best. For most flight times, it keeps you ahead of the wave of people arriving to check in between 90 minutes and two hours early. What I've found is that, if you arrive two hours in advance, the lines at check-in and security are short and you wind up sitting in the lounge for close to an hour before boarding. If you arrive 90 minutes before your scheduled departure, the line to check in will be long as will the wait to get through security. Depending on the departure schedule, you might very well find yourself rushing to get on a plane with your name being called. Retrip has the right idea about checking in extra early and then getting lunch. I did that for years before I started bringing patties with me into the departure lounge.

Iowa
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Our flight leaves Cayman on a Sunday at 2:35 PM - What time

So Retrip -- Could you give me a little more info?

You go to the airport in the morning and Dump your bags. Do you take your whole party with you and get your seat assignments etc? Or is just 1 or 2 of you going to give them your bags and then you return later - go through security and immigration? And they give you your seat assignments at security? Or are you checking in on-line before you even go to the airport? Sorry -- not a World Traveler and this is our first time traveling outside the U.S. -- thanks!

P.S -- what time does the Counter Open?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Our flight leaves Cayman on a Sunday at 2:35 PM - What time

I live in Cayman and leave island at least once a month. I can tell you if I'm leaving on American or Cayman Airways during the week, I'm happy to arrive an hour ahead. If I'm leaving on US Airways on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, I will check in online and STILL get to the airport at least TWO hours ahead. Those are the busiest times at the airport with as many as 5-6 flights leaving within two hours of each other. The counter for US Airways doesn't open until 10:45 am so unfortunately doesn't provide you the same opportunity to check in/drop bags and then go back later. I think you should plan to be at the airport for 12:30. I'd much rather be bored inside than be panicking in a long security line. I know people who have been standing in the security and immigration line as their plane took off. Take a few snacks...as others said, the bar inside is horribly overpriced and not a great selection.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 17:49
Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Tennessee
Level Contributor
590 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our flight leaves Cayman on a Sunday at 2:35 PM - What time

I'm the opposite, when leaving to vacation, I get there about 2.5 hours before. Just to make sure.

When leaving from vacation I get there an hour before. If I miss the flight, then thats a good excuse to dive another day.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our flight leaves Cayman on a Sunday at 2:35 PM - What time

Our rule of thumb is ~ 2 hours ahead of time to allow for rental dropoff and in the event there are any unforeseen snags.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,957 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our flight leaves Cayman on a Sunday at 2:35 PM - What time

"If I miss the flight, then thats a good excuse to dive another day."

Sounds wonderful for you. For others, it would be willfully ignorant as people could wind up spending half their day at the airport and the other half on the phone apologizing to babysitters/family members watching kids, pet/house sitters, a job that expects you back...... then add the expenses of needing to rebook and find somewhere to stay (last minute 1-night reservation during xmas anyone?). Not my idea of a fun last day and likely why the OP asked about a good time to arrive at the airport.

Iowa
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Our flight leaves Cayman on a Sunday at 2:35 PM - What time

Thanks Everyone !

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,463 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our flight leaves Cayman on a Sunday at 2:35 PM - What time

We have to check in individually. Bring in passports to the check in counter and we get our boarding passes to check the bags and then head back to the parking lot and leave. When we come back to the airport we go straight to the security line and have no worries about the crowds at the desk. We have been doing it for many years. Now it is usually just the two of us travelling but we did the same things when the kids were back and forth with us! My husband usually drops me and the bags at the door and I go in and get on line while he parks the car. No huffing and puffing and then when we come back and turn in the rental we don't have be dragging our bags around either which is another big plus (also you get first dibs on seats when you check in early)!