We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where did they get these numbers?

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Where did they get these numbers?

According to an article in today's Compass:

"Air arrivals are viewed as potentially more vital to the island’s fortunes in the long term because visitors stay for longer and spend more. The estimated total spend of passengers arriving by air in 2011 was CI$287, compared with $67 for cruise ship passengers...."

compasscayman.com/caycompass/…

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where did they get these numbers?

Annie, my "guess" is that it must mean per day since that is the total length of time a cruise visitor would be on the island. So it would be an average of what is spent on lodging food etc. There are many stay over visitors who stay with friends (my daughter always has friends staying) so they would bring down the lodging costs. I don't know what happens to people like ourselves who don't pay "lodging" but do pay significant strata, utilities, etc. Whether or not that is taken in account on the "tourist" end I cannot say. If it is not daily, I cannot imagine how they come up with the numbers!!!! You think the reporter who wrote the story might have given some more info. I know many friends who have businesses including in the port area who have said their business from day tourists has gone way down as the cruise industry has evolved to provided shopping on board etc and they no longer have as many customers looking for high end goods or meals. They would like to see the stay over market become the focal point and see more benefit to the airport etc being modernized before the ship terminal is. However the gov't does get money directly for each and every ship passenger! Anyone else have any ideas?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where did they get these numbers?

I think they just do surveys, either by person in George Town or online. Ask people for a rough estimate of how much they spent on their hotel and on eating/drinking/shopping, then divide by number of people in the party and number of days spent on island. It's probably not very accurate, I'm surprised the average cruise passenger spends $70 each in fact. I think we can all agree that people who fly in will have many more costs and are more useful to the economy

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where did they get these numbers?

I'm going to guess that's a per person per day amount .

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where did they get these numbers?

It would only make sense that people staying on the island would spend more than cruisers, people have already paid for their cruise which comes with their food and in some cases drinks, so a lot of people are not going to spend more money on land when they can go on the boat and get a great meal already paid for...

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where did they get these numbers?

I think that this is the main reason for the current boom in hotel and condo building that seems to be going on up and down Seven Mile Beach right now. I was talking to a local businessman who said that as far as he is concerned, the overnight market is the one we should be going for, and not concerning ourselves with the dwindling cruise market.

That having been said, the government does get a chunk of change for every passenger from every ship that "docks" in Grand Cayman, whether or not people come ashore, and whether or not they spend anything. That wasn't factored in to the survey.

I agree, though - without a documented source for the numbers, it does make you wonder where they came from....

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where did they get these numbers?

Another thing they don't consider is the number of people that come to Cayman for meetings because of the financial services sector. We have a number of clients who come in for one to two days for meetings and they are counted as tourist arrivals. Great for the tourism numbers but it fails to show, yet another reason, why the financial services sector is so important to Cayman.

7. Re: Where did they get these numbers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 06:19