We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boating

Ohio City, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
boating

Thinking about renting a boat for 2 days on the north end Any suggestions on snorkeling spots or places to take the boat for some extra fun? Would like to pull the kids around on a tube any suggestions on a safe area for that too?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boating

We are boaters and have been going to GC for the best part of 20 years. Until we spent some time with a local boat captain we would not skipper a boat there. The reason that the waters are so wonderful for divers and snorkelers is because of the reef system that surrounds the island. Unless you know where you are at all times you can run into trouble. I know of one working boat capt with many years experience who broke a prop going through the cut coming back into the North Sound. Last year there was a story about an ocean going private vessel that ended up in pieces in the North Sound. That coupled with the fact that there are divers and snorkelers all over would not make this an activity that I would recommend. I have seen people tubing, knee boarding, etc with hired boat/crew along SMB, but actually cannot recall any such activity on the Northside. Maybe those who stay there will have more info. You might note in general that this is not much discussed topic as it is at other island destinations -- I guess there is good reason that it is not all that popular in GC.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 17:54
Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: boating

Definitely not on northside. I cant imagine anybody actually renting you one either.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,958 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boating

Agreed with above. Grand Cayman is not the place to rent a boat as a tourist.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: boating

The North Sound is ideal for what you are looking for. Be aware of the barrier reef and note where the channel markers are if you plan on fishing (and seas are calm). Just do not plan on circumnavigating the island...

Moore Marine rents boats.

Starfish Beach is a destination option as is the Rum Point Boulder Coral Garden. Kaibo has a dock and Rum Point is an easy anchorage.

Ohio City, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: boating

I got the idea from reading reviews about moores boat rentals. With the response on this post I am going to reconsider. How about renting on the seven mile side for tubing? Or how about jet skis?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: boating

Certainly yes to the jetskis and it is certainly easier to navigate along the SMB side. We have a good friend who we often go out with on his boat on the weekends when we are down. He has lived on the island for about 20 years and is an avid fisherman and diver. He defers on his own boat to another friend who captained boats for years for the biggest dive op on the island when we are in the Sound -- granted we do lots of "exploring". I have been there with them probably a dozen times and seen it each and every time so that is what I am basing my opinion on. If and when the day comes that our boat gets to the island, we will be taking some instruction from the pros before we strike out on our own too!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: boating

I am not quite sure what the concerns about boating in the North Sound are based on (asumming we are discussing an experienced boater).

The water conditions are generally fine, especially in the summer, and it is where the vast majority of locals boat and jet ski. I have gone out with friends to snorkel the barrier reef and tool around on numerous occasions.

Unless you plan on leaving the Sound and entering the open sea, it is usually rather like being on lake.

Maybe try contacting a boat rental place to get some advice concerning boating safety, marine hazards and areas to avoid.

Ohio City, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: boating

Good friend to have I love to fish but we had a bad experience on a deep sea trip at cayman last time. I would love to go fish for tarpon.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: boating

We didn't go for tarpon, but we went bone fishing with Capt. Alonso on the White Rose in the North Sound in an area that completely shallowed out. We caught 28 bone fish in half a day. After years of going for them in the Keys we caught maybe 7 in total. It was totally awesome. Have you ever tried for them? Small but a heck of a fight. Other fishing captains suggested the White Rose when we said that was what we wanted, and they totally nailed it.

Ohio City, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: boating

no never have I wonder if the bite is good this time of year?