We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy is GCM airport?

Toronto
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How busy is GCM airport?

I have travelled to Provo before and the airport there is insane, what is GCM like?

I arrive on a Saturday at 1:15pm and depart on Sunday at 3:45pm.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy is GCM airport?

The airport in Cayman is generally fairly quiet. HOWEVER, Saturday and Sunday afternoons are the exception. There are 5-6 flights that arrive within an hour of each other on Saturday and Sunday afternoons so you can count on a line at Immigration. You will still likely be out with bags and all within an hour but it will feel like an eternity. Same thing with departing, those same flights turn around and depart within an hour of each other. I always recommend getting to the airports at least 2 (maybe even 2.5) hours in advance on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. There will be a long line at security and only two xray screeners. Any other time of the week is a different story but I wouldn't risk a late arrival on weekend afternoons. Enjoy Cayman!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy is GCM airport?

While not what I call insane, GCM is definitely crowded and congested during your arrival/departure times. Lines can be quite long and tedious when entering on Saturday Afternoon and leaving Sunday afternoon. The wait area for departure after clearing customs is no picnic. Due to this situation, we now avoid GCM weekend travel.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy is GCM airport?

Agree with the others. Keep in mind it's a small airport as well. There plans afoot that will expand the place over the coming years...

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,642 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How busy is GCM airport?

Agree with the other answers.... if you're the first plane to land (either because you are scheduled first or because the others got delayed), you will be through and out quickly. If you are the third or fourth to arrive then the waits will be longer. However, I have had similar waits at Immigration in some of the US hubs when landing in the US, so it's all relative to what you are used to.

I don't find departing to be too bad, and have done it on a weekend. Since the cafe/restaurant there is a bit variable, I will often cook up some Jamaican patties before I leave the condo, put them in a ziplock bag, and eat them at room temperature while I wait for the flight. There is a good selection of duty free shopping once you are through security - definitely an opportunity to pick up some last minute gifts, souvenirs or rum cake!

The only WiFi in the airport is landside and upstairs (i.e. before you go through security) at the Hungry Horse Restaurant. You will need to ask them for the password.

I am hoping that as the focus on the island shifts from cruise ships to overnight guests, we will see some gradual improvements in the facilities at the airport.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,722 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How busy is GCM airport?

Update: There is now a free LIME WiFi hotspot in the main terminal.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How busy is GCM airport?

That is good news..thanks for the info

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How busy is GCM airport?

Yeah, but that Lime hot spot can be pretty spotty. Last saturday afternoon, I could connect about once every 20 minutes and would keep the connection for maybe 5-10 minutes before losing it. Alot of the folks around me were never able to even connect.

As for wait times, it totally depends on where you are in relationship to the other flights. We flew in on a Saturday at around 3:30 and we were through immigration and customs and out the door with our bags in less than 15 minutes. Coming back through on the next saturday, we checked in at around 1:45 and it took about 5 minutes at the Cayman Airways counter and about 5 minutes to get through security and immigration. It only took that long at security because they decided to search and swab my wife's bag. At other times, it can be very crowded. I think the advice to arrive 2 hours ahead is probably good, but depending on where you are relative to other flights, you might spend 90 minutes sitting around in the airport.

8. Re: How busy is GCM airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 06:20