We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ready to book trip #2...trying a condo this time, advice plz

michigan
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ready to book trip #2...trying a condo this time, advice plz

Hello to all of the wonderful people who give amazing advice!!! I'm excited to return to GC after an AMAZING trip in April. We loved our time at the Westin, but are looking into condos this time. Feeling a bit overwhelmed, there's a lot to learn!! I've been reading previous posts and looked at sites to see specific condos, etc. My hope is you can give me a quick thought of your favorite condos. I'm thinking 7 mile beach, but loved the entire island! Any thoughts? There are only three of us: Husband, 12 yr. old son, me. Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning from all of you....you gave me wonderful advice before :) BTW, I'm looking at April 20th 2014.

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman...
576 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ready to book trip #2...trying a condo this time, advice plz

Smart choice to go with condo! There are many in the vicinity of Westin with same spacious, gorgeous beachfronts and near to restaurants plus any water activities your son might want to do via Red Sail at Westin.

HUGE upside of going after April 15th is rates drop and often there are additional free extra night when booking for at least 4-5 nights.

Go to cayman vacations.com for an initial overview of some of the many that might be of interest to you. Gives location, amenities, prices, pictures. We generally stay in a 3 bedroom unit in the Central part of SMB where 3 bedroom units seem to be most plentiful, but there are some with 2 bedrooms and some that will close off the 3rd bedroom and rent at a reduced rate. Also consider Northern part of SMB where you will want to have a rental car, but it is a short drive to grocery store, restaurants, etc.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ready to book trip #2...trying a condo this time, advice plz

Can you give us an idea of your budget or some specific condos you've already looked at? That can help us give some specific advice. Would you prefer to be on foot to most places or will you be renting a car?

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,631 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ready to book trip #2...trying a condo this time, advice plz

Well, the main difference of Seven Mile Beach vs the others is that you have the beach on your back doorstep. The down side is that you pay for that privilege. If that is something that is important to you, then I would suggest you narrow it right down and don't bother looking at other areas of the island. :-)

If you are ok with getting a rental car for your stay, then other less costly options open up. The North Shore has a lot of condos that are in very quiet areas and are quite beautiful. The downside there is that you have a longer drive to get to most of the main touristy attractions. West Bay and North West Point are away from the beach, but close enough for you to drive to it, and the restaurants in that area. Prices tend to be lower, but you obviously don't have the beach right there.

So, in summary (and this is just my opinion, others may disagree):

Beautiful Beach with calm waters on your back door: pay the extra for Seven Mile Beach

Secluded coastal area: North Shore/East End

Close to many restaurants and the beach but not on it: West Bay

There really are so many places to choose from on the island, and everyone has their favourites, based on their own experiences, values and needs. It's important for you to understand what your priorities are, so that you can weigh the advice you are given.

Mentioned in this post
West Bay
West Bay
Grand Cayman
East End
East End
Grand Cayman
michigan
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ready to book trip #2...trying a condo this time, advice plz

Great thoughts...thanks LoveCayman, Cayman I, and TravellingBrit. We definitely love having a rental car, we love to explore all over the island! I've spent a lot of time searching and it seems there are many great condos...any thoughts on either the Plantanas or London House? Or do you have other suggestions? Thanks!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ready to book trip #2...trying a condo this time, advice plz

both have nice beaches....I like having a screened porch, which plantana has.....but toothers that soesn't make a difference

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ready to book trip #2...trying a condo this time, advice plz

Take a good look at Plantana. Established gardens, pool, vacant and beautiful beach, close to markets and restaurants and shore snorkels. 4 years , never had a problem. Have a great trip wherever you stay!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ready to book trip #2...trying a condo this time, advice plz

You will be happy with either London House or Plantana:-)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,962 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ready to book trip #2...trying a condo this time, advice plz

Both London House and Plantana have excellent, uncrowded beaches with plenty of natural shade. Can't go wrong either way.

9. Re: Ready to book trip #2...trying a condo this time, advice plz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 06:22