We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water temp now

Charles Town, West...
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Topic
water temp now

could someone tell me the current water temp there now was wondering if i will need a shorty to do a resort dive thanks for any help

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: water temp now

I have done all my diving on Grand Cayman in a dive skin, and haven't felt cold at all. If you are the type that gets cold easily, then a shorty might be good, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,877 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: water temp now

I am not a diver so my comment might not be relevant. Even in the hot September weather I get cold after about 10=15 minutes of snorkeling. I am of slight build and have only once made it into the water on the third stop of a snorkeling trip. I end up sitting on the boat freezing while others are enjoying the underwater sights. The kind guide at Ocean Frontiers called for a shorty to be delivered to me on the boat, helped me put it on and wearing it did make a difference for me. He was wonderful, and seemed truly disappointed that I would not be able to stay in the water.

Edited: 15 April 2014, 21:08
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: water temp now

Oh one thing to add - not sure how familiar you are with the Caribbean waters, but there is no real thermocline - no sudden change of temperature as you increase depth. You will tend to find that the temperature of the water at 5 feet is about the same as at 40, 60 or even 100 feet deep - not that you will be going anywhere near that deep on a resort dive, of course, but just for the info.

Kiddos, yes, it's absolutely true that those with slighter build (less body fat) tend to feel the cold quicker when they dive, too, so your comment is very relevant. That was why I asked about whether the OP gets cold easily - if in doubt, get a shorty - it's unlikely that you are going to be too warm in it.

Edited: 15 April 2014, 21:21
hemel hempstead
Level Contributor
180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: water temp now

On one of the dive ops web page it sates current water temp 82f. We are on our way in a couple of weeks, I have dived GC many times and wear a shorty.

Charles Town, West...
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: water temp now

ok thank you for the responses very helpful

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: water temp now

I'll guess that you're also going to do some snorkeling? Besides keeping you warm, a wetsuit or polartec diveskin will prevent sunburn on whatever parts of you are covered up. Once you're a few feet down on the dive sunburn won't be an issue, but no matter how good your sunscreen is, if you're snorkeling for a long time you should figure that you no longer have any protection.

While there's very little surface runoff on GC, it's worth noting that storms can bring colder water up towards the surface. 82º today is no guarantee that you won't find it a few degrees cooler in a couple of days. Even if I didn't burn I'd wear thermal protection even if the water was 85º, though I typically plan on being in the water for several hours on any given day.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: water temp now

My kids sometimes wear a rash guard (they have shorties but cannot be bothered to wear them in GC) but most often just bathing suits and my husband only wears his shorty when doing multiple dives. I only wear a skin. None of us wear anything more than bathing suits for snorkeling. More than likely you can decide when you are ready to do the dive as the op will surely have them available!

8. Re: water temp now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 06:17