We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food and Alcohol pricing in Grand Cayman

K B
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Food and Alcohol pricing in Grand Cayman

We're heading to GC in August and I'm curious how much food and Alcohol from the grocery/liquor stores compare to US pricing. Also, can I bring a few bottles of Champagne with me in my luggage to the Island? Thanks!

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food and Alcohol pricing in Grand Cayman

This is a link to a liquor store. You can check their prices....yes, liquor is high on the island.

http://www.jacquesscottonline.com

Here is a link to Fosters IGA weekly specials....You can check their prices.

http://fosters-iga.com/fff/weekly-special/

Also for a long list of prices click the link under top questions at the top right of page for how much do groceries and liquor cost.

Also remember that the prices are in Cayman dollars which costs you 25% more in USD.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,497 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food and Alcohol pricing in Grand Cayman

There is a section on this to the right as the top question. But you can also google Fosters Grand Cayman IGA and see the actual circular, you can google it on caymannewresident.com and see actual prices and you can look at caymangoodtaste.com or caymanrestaurantguide.com to see prices at restaurants. The only liquor you can legally bring in without paying duty is the per person allowance from the Duty Free shop. If you pack it in your luggage you still need to declare it and perhaps pay duty. Keep in mind the champs bottles are heavy so you might end up paying more if your luggage is overweighted any way. Keep in mind that prices are in CI. I find prices in line with what I pay in NY depending upon the item etc. But the US is a big country and prices in Texas might be more or less for any given item. Have a great trip.

Well done Shelly -- you are a faster typer!!!!!

Edited: 10 June 2014, 13:52
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food and Alcohol pricing in Grand Cayman

The duty free allowance is either 1 liter of spirits OR 4 bottles of wine per adult. Beer is also allowed....not sure about quantity. Obviously you may bring in as much as you want, but since you must declare everything, you will pay duty on the excess. If you can find wine or alcohol that you like in the duty free shop at the airport on your way down, then, by all means, purchase it. Then it's a carry-on & doesn't weight down your luggage or (horrors!) break.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food and Alcohol pricing in Grand Cayman

You may find that paying the duty on stuff from the duty free shop still is cheaper on some items than you can find on Cayman. definitely worth some research if that is important to you.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food and Alcohol pricing in Grand Cayman

One slight correction...each person is allowed to bring in 4L of wine...not 4 bottles. So actually slight more than 5 standard bottles per person.

6. Re: Food and Alcohol pricing in Grand Cayman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 05:16