We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Clarification

New Jersey
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Clarification

Trying to figure out something and could use your help.

Deckers, Abacus, and Karoo all seem to be "owned" by one restaurant group and some of the menus seem quite similar. Two are in Camana Bay and Deckers is not. Do any have a view? Are there different experiences and which ones do you prefer?

Thanks!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Clarification

Karoo has more of a bar atmosphere, in my opinion. Nice to sit outside and watch the fountains and do the tapas (small plates) items. Abacus has more of a restaurant feel to it, and sititng outside you can do some good people-watching. I haven't been to Deckers.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Clarification

Deckers is one of my fave restaurants on island. A lot of that probably has to do with Hi Tide playing Thurs, Fri, and Sat. It is a Cayman staple with residents. Abacus and Karoo are great food but I love the atmosphere at Deckers even more.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Clarification

Deckers has outdoor dining but is right on West Bay Road. They have landscaped it nicely, but there is no view. Karoo & Abacus are both at Camana. Karoo has a view of the water leading int Camana.....Karoo is on the main pedestrian walkway. I agree that Karoo has more of a bar atmosphere ...small plates etc etc. check out menus at Caymangoodtaste.com

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,993 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Clarification

Many of the bars and restaurants on the island are owned in clusters. They are different and to my mind the fact that the owners are successful enough with there first place to diversify means they must be doing something right. Each place is unique as mentioned and the same owners does not mean they are like a chain. Far from it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Clarification

Thanks everyone for your input!

Just found out Decker's will also be closed while we are there (All of September until October 8th) - the list just keeps on growing as far as closures!

Will consider Karoo for afternoon libations!

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
19 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Clarification

We spent a very pleasant evening at Karoo on our recent trip and the food was excellent, plus it's really nice to sit outside. One advantage is that it is also open later than many other restaurants. We did find parking at Camana Bay to be a bit challenging.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Clarification

Thanks daisygirl59 - could you explain what you mean by "parking at Camana Bay to be challenging?"

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
19 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Clarification

There is a surface parking lot that was very full both times we visited, both times at night. It got to the point that we followed people leaving to get a spot. I think there is also a parking garage but we simply could not figure out how to access it or other surface parking they must have given the size of the development. Maybe someone better acquainted with Camana Bay can explain the access or there might be a map of the development online.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,993 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Clarification

There is a huge parking garage and it is fairly hard to miss it. Just drive straight back at the northern entrance to the development and there it is. Multistory, safe and lots of space :) My guess is that if you google Camana Bay you might find a map. Worth googling anyway as the calendar will let you know what is going on like the markets and other events during you stay. Not surprising about the closures . . . it is a lovely time on the island as it is quiet and you get to take advantage of really low prices. There are so many restaurants that you won't go hungry -- no worries :)

10. Re: Restaurant Clarification

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 05:15