We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Advice/Tips? Going to Grand Cayman

Houston, TX
6 posts
Save Topic
Any Advice/Tips? Going to Grand Cayman

My husband and I and our three children (ages 10,7,6) are going to Grand Cayman in August. Never having been there, is there any advice/tips? We are staying for 5 days at the Westin. Where are the best snorkling spots? What are the activities not to miss? Where is there good places to eat with children? Does anyone know the cruise ship schedules? Any other tips............ Thanks for sharing!

DeKalb, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Advice/Tips? Going to Grand Cayman

if you go to www.caymanport.com/schedule and type in the month you will be there it should give you the list of what ships will be. It will give you info for everyday of the week

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Advice/Tips? Going to Grand Cayman

Spend an afternoon at Rum Point. Rent a car so you can tour the island.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Advice/Tips? Going to Grand Cayman

It is a good idea to pack water shoes as some of the beaches have a lot of coral when you wade in. Plan to spend a day at Rum Point. Very pretty beach. You can relax on a hammock while the kids wear themselves out in the water. You can get food right there or bring your own. There are picnic tables. You can get the cruise schedule by going to the CI main website.

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Advice/Tips? Going to Grand Cayman

cctx,

Check out the links to the left of this page.

The Grand Cayman tourist bureau has an excellent site with lots of links to businesses around the islands.

Enjoy your visit!

CTR

Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Advice/Tips? Going to Grand Cayman

Check out my Inside Page on Things to do with kids.

Houston, TX
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Advice/Tips? Going to Grand Cayman

Thanks for the information. We have never been to GC . Can't wait to go.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
422 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Advice/Tips? Going to Grand Cayman

You will love Grand Cayman! We've been going there since our kids were 9 and 6, and are returning for our 5th trip with the kids now being 17 and 14. My daughter, who is graduating from high school in May, selected GC for her graduation trip over Hawaii or other Caribbean islands---that's how much we love it!

The beach at and around the Westin is the very best on 7-Mile Beach, in my opinion. The Westin pool is also very nice for the kids. You will find a wonderful snorkeling area right in front of your hotel just past the swimming beach bouys.

You must do a trip to Stingray City---specify you want to stop at the sand bar, not deep area. Whether your kids are excited/brave enough to play with the stingrays or not, they'll thorougly enjoy the boat trip out and just seeing these wonderful creatures. Ask your tour operator if you will be stopping to snorkel the coral gardens on the trip---we really enjoy that, also.

For your first trip, do the turtle farm---it is a great half-day outing. The kids not only see sea turtles of all sizes, but can also hold them and check them out up close. I understand they've added a water park of sorts to the attraction, but it was not open when we last went so I don't know how good it is.

My kids love the island mainly for the beautiful "bath-water calm", crystal clear water. They will spend hours in the water and playing on the beach. My son will spend 4 or 5 hours a day just swimming out a little ways from shore to check out the treasures below the sea. You don't have to snorkel an official reef to find really neat stuff to look at. Every year, he enjoys piling up some rocks or driftwood in the sand under the water 10 feet or so from shore and watching various fish take up residence in his "fish hotels"!!

Great restaurants are The Wharf---go when you can see the tarpon feeding after dinner, Lobster Pot---again great place to see BIG fish off the wharf right behind it, Fisherman's Reef---we just found it last year and can't wait to go back, Edourdo's---they do great pizza for kids who are sick of seafood, and Pappagallo's has great atmosphere with all the birds and lagoon, and they'll usually make half portions of pasta dishes for the kids.

Hope your family loves the island as much as we do. I can't wait to hear how your trip goes!!

satonthebeach

Houston, TX
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Advice/Tips? Going to Grand Cayman

Thanks for the advice. We are leaving next week and are so excited. Does anyone know what is the best excursion company to use(for going to stingray city) and if they have a kid friendly stingray city tour? Someone mentioned only ask to go to the sand bar with kids?

Also, in front of the Westin , do the kids need water shoes or can you go barefoot in the water?

Thanks!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Advice/Tips? Going to Grand Cayman

The beach in front of the Westin is great and water shoes are not necessary.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Advice/Tips? Going to Grand Cayman

There are many great companies that do the Stingray City excursion. Depending on your comfort in the water (and the kids), you can decide if you need to go to the Sandbar where you can stand. You wear flotation jackets and the rays come to where the food is, so there is not any real "swimming" involved going to the 12/15 ft site which is usually less crowded. My kids did it the first time when they were 7 and 5 (now 20 and 18 with lots of dive certifications and still love it!!). It is a wonderful experience for the whole family. If you check the port schedule, you can look for a day with fewer ships so less people. Have a great time.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman