We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip #5 - Day 2-3

Kansas
Level Contributor
625 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Trip #5 - Day 2-3

It is a beautiful, sunny, albeit breezy, morning on Rum Point today. Hoping the rains stay away today and allow for a full day of snorkeling. Or, at least the lightning since we enjoy snorkeling in a soft rain anyway. In addition to meals at 'home' we have dined out at a couple of places since day 1. Sunshine Grill was a late lunch of fish tacos. They use a strip of grilled mahi rather than the tasty lionfish served at Eagle Ray's. While they were fine and satisfied the hunger, there is no comparison to Eagle Ray's. We sat outside by the pool and enjoyed the nicely landscaped peaceful environment. Last evening, we dined at Le Vele with mixed reviews. The setting and service was outstanding. We sampled the mixed seafood app and also the meat & cheese tray. Both we tasty. The specialty risotto and an off-the-menu Fettucine Alfredo received the highest marks of the evening with the seared tuna and the seafood ravioli trailing. Their pizza's looked wonderful. So many restaurants, so little time.

Once again, we utilized the services of Mr. Ebanks at Cayman Shoppers. For a fee this year of $85, we arrived to find our entire grocery and adult beverage shopping list neatly arranged in our kitchen and fridge. We also stop at the various grocery stores, throughout our visit, to pick up a few last minute items but find this service really adds to our enjoyment.

The sea is calling....it is so wonderful to be back and we are already planning our next visit.

Mentioned in this post
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,496 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Sunshine Grill
Sunshine Grill
5,165 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Eagle Ray's Bar & Grill
Eagle Ray's Bar & Grill
668 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Big Tree Bbq
£, Caribbean, Barbecue
VIVO
££ - £££, Healthy, Caribbean, International
Casanova by the Sea
££ - £££, Seafood, Italian
15 replies to this topic
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip #5 - Day 2-3

Glad that you are enjoying your trip. We also use Cayman Shoppers and it looks like the delivery fee has been increased again. We used the service just last month and the delivery fee was $75.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip #5 - Day 2-3

Thanks for the food review, too - so you said "mixed reviews" on Le Vele, but it sounded like everything was good - what led you to say "mixed reviews"? I haven't been there yet, so am curious.

Kansas
Level Contributor
625 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip #5 - Day 2-3

Kiddos- I too was surprised but it is worth it. I also ask him to add a nice gratuity each year. Maybe my list is just too comprehensive!

Kansas
Level Contributor
625 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip #5 - Day 2-3

TravellingBritNY - I hesitated to say anything negative on those 2 entrees. My son ordered his tuna medium but didn't enjoy that it was a cold center and "chewy." I think he expected it to compare to Ahi tuna he had in Hawaii and it didn't get close. I encouraged him to ask them to fire it a bit longer but he didn't want to make a big deal about it. So that is why I didn't want to say that is the chefs 'fault.' On my seafood ravioli, I was initially surprised it seemed almost as if the ravioli didn't get strained well. I was trying to compare it to food I ate in Italy and the pristine flavors served there. So I wasn't sure if it was 'watery' or just authentic, if you get my meaning. I think it is definitely worth a try and look forward to hearing your opinion.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip #5 - Day 2-3

My guess that the increased price for Cayman Shoppers was due to the Rum Point delivery.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,496 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Kansas
Level Contributor
625 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip #5 - Day 2-3

That is an idea kiddos, but we have always used the Rum Point address. Last visit in 2016, it was $75. And 2014 and 2015, it was $65. Regardless, I didn't inquire as to the fee this time and it isn't a problem but rather, well worth the trouble. I appreciate the opportunity to be a guest on Grand Cayman and like to contribute, in any small way, to the local economy.

Edited: 23 October 2017, 04:06
Mentioned in this post
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,496 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Kansas
Level Contributor
625 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip #5 - Day 2-3

I apologize, that response should have been to NorthSideSue.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip #5 - Day 2-3

KansasMamabear, I agree. We love the convenience of not having to hit the grocery and liquor store on arrival day. For us, the delivery fee is simply a drop in the bucket considering the total cost of our vacations in Cayman. I am enjoying your reports, keep them coming.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
595 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip #5 - Day 2-3

Thanks for the report, Mamabear....we are spending 6 nights at a house in Rum Point this year (after two prior trips to 7MB) so I am interested in hearing a report of things on that side of the island. Sounds like you made it back to 7MB to eat at Sunshine Grill one day....I was trying to decide whether we would make that drive or not, and it was helpful to know you seem to do that. I have never eaten lionfish, so I'm interested in trying some tacos at Eagle Ray's. I am planning to use the Cayman Shoppers service so I appreciate the report on that, too.

Mentioned in this post
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,496 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Sunshine Grill
Sunshine Grill
5,165 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Eagle Ray's Bar & Grill
Eagle Ray's Bar & Grill
668 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip #5 - Day 2-3

iowaguy, have you used Cayman Shoppers previously? I can vouch for Mr. Ebanks' dependable and honest service.

Edited: 23 October 2017, 16:06
Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Reply to: Trip #5 - Day 2-3
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted