We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does no one else think this place is over the top expensive?

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Does no one else think this place is over the top expensive?

I am sorry, but I just don't get it! I'm used to staying in fine places, but Grand Cayman was crazy.......received my American Express bill today and the hotel alone was $5500. This was for a week and many meals off sight......yes, we did stay at The Ritz, but not in a suite or over the top room....can do much better else where with more character than we found in Grand Cayman.

Glad we went and explored - and the water and beach is beautiful - but won't be back - there are many more places out there that actually have culture and meaning and guess what - they don't charge an arm and a leg to visit.

My two cents.........If someone had been honest with me before our visit, I probably would not have wasted our money!

TX1

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
112 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does no one else think this place is over the top expensive?

Might be a silly question but did you not know what the Cayman Island's were and that it was going to be that expensive when you booked? Or did you just say give me a room, here's my card?

So fay I have spent a total of $800 (for 2) for a week at the Marriott (priceline'd) and used skymiles for flights. So my only other expenses will be scuba diving/snorkeling trips and restaurants.

I wouldn't slam the Cayman's because you stayed at a very expensive hotel... I could do the same thing here in Louisville, KY if I wanted and also eat $300 meals.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does no one else think this place is over the top expensive?

I never said that Grand Cayman wasn't expensive although there are less expensive ways of staying aside from a top end resort. That said, my villa rents out nightly for more than rack rooms at the RC, and I have paid as much if not more at other villas before we bought ours. There are some truly beautiful properties which easily could blow the budget, but I doubt the people who use them have a budget. Grand Cayman has charming, delightful people and a safe, clean enviornment above and below the sea. No hawking, no unemployment, no one trying to rip of tourists and is family friendly. It also has fantastic restaurants of every type all over the island so we are not forced to stay at resort restaurants (for choice not money). My other half lived in B'dos, Greneda and other islands. We have been to to those the USVI, BVI, St. Lucia, Mexico, etc. some several times. For my family we choose Grand Cayman hands down over any of those other venues. It is more than evident that TXI had did not have a great trip, however, the price for the holiday was not out of line with what the RC charges (which you should know before you go). I am sorry that it wasn't up to the liking of the OP?, but I can honestly say that I don't think at hotel bill for that amount is any biggie at an RC or similar resort so I don't understand the sticker shock. I am glad they can find other places that make them happy -- we all like different things. From the many rave reviews the RC in GC receives, they must be doing something right.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does no one else think this place is over the top expensive?

Well, I don't think anyone who has posted claimed Grand Cayman was an exotic, cultural, or inexpensive vacation spot. Almost everyone mentions the relative high cost. Hard to believe that prior to going there you did not look into price for chosen accommodations!

Who was not honest with you?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does no one else think this place is over the top expensive?

I must admit your statements surprised me.

Did you not check the other threads regardins the RC and CI's in general? Did you not factor in the conversion rate of the USD? You stayed at the most expensive hotel on the island and you're surprised that it cost that much? I doubt anyone on this board was dishonest with you regarding how much a week @ RC on the Caymans cost. I don't want to speak of any other of the posters but such accusations shift blame to innocent and helpful folks on this board. You'll find many people who love the CI's and talk very honestly about this destination.

I'm happy you enjoyed other aspects of your trip but I think you're out of line with your tone and statements.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does no one else think this place is over the top expensive?

I agree. Anyone that does their homework will know GC is not an inexpensive place. But I truly believe, you get what you pay for. In GC, the beaches are beautiful, snorkeling and diving top notch, restaurants very good and the people wonderful. Except for a few places, the beaches are uncrowded and safety is not an issue.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does no one else think this place is over the top expensive?

Grand Cayman is expensive yes, but I found Provo and Anguilla to be just as pricey. If you do a little research, there are lots of ways to save money.

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
938 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does no one else think this place is over the top expensive?

i agree with everyone here - how could you not have known what your room was going to cost before you went?

What did you think food would cost? If you have traveled to any other islands, you would know that food is always more expensive in the Carribbean.

This board has been a tremendous help to us with our budget when we arrive in November. I will be attending a conference at the RC, and although they gave us a great rate, we did some research and found a condo for 1/3 the price (Discovery Point) and have elected to stay off the premises. And from the reviews of DP it is a wonderfull place.

This will be our first trip to the Caymans and am soooooooo looking forward to my first visit because everyone has been so helpful. 42 more days and counting!!!!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does no one else think this place is over the top expensive?

Have a great time.

MA
Level Contributor
628 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does no one else think this place is over the top expensive?

TX1...so sorry that you spent that much. I returned home in July after staying 7 nights and my hotel bill was $716.45. My B&B was right on a small beach on West Bay Rd., close to town, kitchenette, a/c in the room and very clean. I flew down using frequent flier miles and that bill totalled $55. Cayman is a wonderful destination. You just have to do a bit of research first.

I wouldn't put down the whole island because you decided to stay at a place that charged that much for a room. Enjoy your next vacation where ever it may be!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does no one else think this place is over the top expensive?

I'm afraid that by posting this question on a Cayman Island centered forum you'll be hard pressed to find someone that would give you the answer you desire.

If you're asking whether I find it expensive to vacation on Grand Cayman then I'll agree for the places I 'choose' to stay and the meals that I 'choose' to purchase it is expensive compared to some people's vacations. But as others have pointed out a good, fun filled vacation on Grand Cayman can be had at a reasonable price if one 'chooses' to research prior to booking.

As a person that is also used to the 'finer' places, I understand the need to gather as much information as possible on the island, it's resorts, dining expenses, high/low seasons and attractions prior to making a final decision. Hopefully you'll be able to accomplish this before your next trip. Best of luck.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman