We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

children's menu at Calypso Grill?

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
children's menu at Calypso Grill?

Does CG offer a children's menu? How about Deckers?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: children's menu at Calypso Grill?

our experience is it matters not if they do or do not. Most restaurants we have frequented have always devised a suitable meal for children. When our little grandchild was both a baby and young toddler we brought her meal with us...easy to do thanks to excellent food choices at Foster's! Last year when she was almost 3, simply ordered from the menu asking portion/seasoning reduction and never had any problem! GC is amazingly family accommodating & kid friendly:)

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: children's menu at Calypso Grill?

I totally agree with lovecayman. Many places offer a half portion for kids anyway. At Casanova, my hubby and daughter still order penne ala grappe (no longer on the menu -- but off the charts). They happily make it all the time. You can always order an appetizer or side for the kids and supplement with a little of your entree!

Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: children's menu at Calypso Grill?

Calypso Grill was my favorite restaurant when we were there 2 years ago. Going back next week and cannot wait!!

Deckers was also very nice. We actually NEVER had a bad meal while in the Caymans.

Connecticut
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: children's menu at Calypso Grill?

Since CG does not seem to be particularly kid-friendly, I'm not sure I'd worry about a children's menu. The service is mediocre to poor. The hostess has a haughty, superior attitude. Our bill came with a charge for a bottle of wine we didn't order. The hostess would not seat us at an empty table at 9pm because we were only four and she claimed the empty table was for a party of five, but she never sat anyone there. I suspect if you have kids (we came with two 13 year old boys), you won't get seated anyplace good. Another family of four we know booked a month in advance and still couldn't get an outside table. Too crowded and noisy and expensive for what you get. Spend a little more and get excellent service at Great House or Casa Havana. Or try Fisherman's Reef next door.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: children's menu at Calypso Grill?

I have been traveling with kids to Cayman for the best part of 20 years (several trips during some years). Once my two got to about 10/11 we started letting them bring a friend each. We eat out every night that we are not doing a night dive. We have never, ever had a problem getting seated with children (make reservations in advance -- sadly some people make the reservation and never show up), never had bad or discourteous service and never had a bad meal. GC is one of the most family friendly places we have ever been. The lack of children's menus is not something that is normally done in "better" restaurants any where in the world we have visited. I am sorry that the previous poster had such a bad experience, but it is certainly far from anything we have encountered in Cayman!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: children's menu at Calypso Grill?

I wanted to add that Calypso Grill has been one of our favorites since it opened -- it does get very crowded (not only with tourists, but also locals) and getting a table outside on certain nights is almost impossible.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: children's menu at Calypso Grill?

We too have never encountered poor service or attitudes without without children...even when our little grand daughter was a baby and toddler.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: children's menu at Calypso Grill?

My daughter was 14 and 15 when we last were in Cayman and bought her the adult Shrimp and Lobster in Champagne. It's our favorite! If you have 2 children, you could always split a meal or order appetizers for them. Whatever the cost, it's worth it to go to Calypso Grill! Shrimp dishes there are also excellent! Didn't care for the tuna, though.

We ate at Cecker's and although good, not the quality of CG.

Summer

Connecticut
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: children's menu at Calypso Grill?

I've been three times in the past three years with older, well-behaved children. Calypso Grill is hip and colorful, but the food is nothing special, it's crowded, and this last time, the hostess was rude (also heard this from another family who dined that night), AND the waiter posted an erroneous charge. We did not have these experiences at Casa Havana, Pappagallo, Cracked Conch, Grand Old House, or the Wharf. This place will never get a Michelin star. It wouldn't get two stars in NYC. It's just not that great. There was simply no excuse for the poor service. And we weren't the first ones to notice it. Maybe the new hostess was having a bad hair day. Who knows? But the experience soured us to this place, especially when we had excellent meals elsewhere.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: children's menu at Calypso Grill?

and we have dined at Calypso Grille more than several times over the past few years and ALWAYS been treated wonderfully, enjoyed excellent service and meals even when the restaurant was very busy:)

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman