We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free liquor

East Hartford...
Level Contributor
223 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
duty free liquor

I'll be traveling to Cayman in April and have not visited the island since the new restrictions on liquids in carry-ons. Will I be able to carry on bottles purchased at the Grand Cayman airport duty free shop? I'm flying direct/non-stop from Cayman to JFK.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: duty free liquor

Yes you will and you can buy some on the way down. The liquor at the duty free has already cleared security. Once you get to the duty free so have you. The restrictions are on liquids that individuals try to bring onboard, not what has already been cleared. Have a great trip. Presume you are travelling on Cayman Air -- we do and love them!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: duty free liquor

We are going in April also,and from JFK. What you buy at the airport in Grand Cayman goes on the plane with you. Put them in your carry on.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: duty free liquor

If you have a direct flight home, you will be able to purchase and carry on liquids from the departure lounge in the airport.

You would also be able to puchase duty=freen booze in JFK to carry on for your flight to GCM.

New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: duty free liquor

We are also flying from JFK to GC in April. Is it cheaper to buy our duty free liquor when leaving JFK, or, when arriving in GC? Or is there not a difference?

Thanks!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: duty free liquor

You cannot buy duty free in Cayman to use in Cayman (as it defeats the purpose of "duty free"). It is much cheaper to buy at the duty free and bring it with you. Liquor is expensive once you get there. The only place we have ever been buy duty free upon arrival is Australia which we found to be very weird.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: duty free liquor

You can not buy duty free at the airport when you arrive in Cayman, only as you depart from the stores in the departure lounge. You will buy at the airport in the US and bring it with you.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: duty free liquor

Sue, you can purchase duty-free liquors in the departure lounge at GCM and carry them on the flight, even if you don't have a direct (nonstop) flight home. Of course, if you don't have a nonstop flight home, you'l need to transfer the liquor into your checked baggage after clearing customs at your point of entry into the USA, before boarding the next leg of your flight home.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: duty free liquor

I'm glad you posted this question.

We have a non-stop to the Cayman Islands from JFK in New York.

I was planning on buying liquor at the duty free shop in JFK and bringing it on the plane to bring into CI.

Are you saying it is allowed to bring liquor on the plane? I'm surprised they allow that with the new rules. Can someone refresh my memory? Is it 1 litre per person and what age limits are there?

And to recap the discussion you can't buy liquor in the duty free shop at the Cayman Airport when arriving to bring into the island. Correct? Makes sense to me at any rate. But you can bring it home if you pack it in your suitcase after customs.

TC

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: duty free liquor

Some one else can fill you in on the amount. At JFK as soon as you clear security the duty free shop is in front of you. You walk in and buy whatever you want (within the limits). That is brought to the plane for you and given to you as you are boarding. It doesn't fall under the rules as they pertain to passengers bringing liquids, not secured shops at the airport. You and the liquor have passed security separately, something you would not be allowed to do together. You never had a chance to tamper with it, and they know exactly where it came from, so that is why it doesn't fall under the same rules as individuals bringing liquids with them to the airport! If you don't have a direct flight you have to transfer the liquor to your checked luggage when you arrive back in the states. I would guess that if you are not direct and only have carry on you should not make the purchase.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: duty free liquor

The duty free liquor allowance for each visitor to the Cayman Islands, age 18 or over, is EITHER one liter of spirits, OR four liters of wine (five 750 ml bottles) OR approximately 24 cans of beer.